Raspberry lemonade airlock mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
I started a batch of raspberries and lemonade. The raspberries were a combo of frozen and puree with xuam gum. I added sugar, but I had a pH of 3.2. After a week with Primer Cuvee in the primary and not doing anything, I racked to secondary and added Mont. yeast. It still wasn't doing anything and I was writing it off as a fail, but then the airlock started having pressure on it on Wednesday. Last night, I kept hearing this noise, and finally realized it was spitting raspberry foam though the airlock! I'm not use to krausen, so it was a bit full. I took some fluid off, but apparently it isn't enough because it is still doing it. Hubby says he read some where that raspberries are awful like that when making beer. Is that what is going on? Right now, I'm just swapping out my vodka filled 3 piece airlock every twelve hours. I really don't want to take more out because it is only a gallon.

If you have some tubing laying around hook it up to the center tube in the airlock and put the other end into a container with water in it. If you don't have tubing just put it in the bath tub till it calms down. You'll lose less volume by letting it go than by taking liquid out.

next time you try it, make an active yeast then add it. Some yeast are slow starters. I am currently making Chocolate/cherry and it took the yeast 3 days to start.

Freekyj - I always follow the directions on the yeast packet. I didn't give up after a week, either, and re pitched and tried again. There were some unknowns like xuam gum and a very low pH to mess with the yeast.

Clonefarmer - lol, my husband has the blow off tube on his beer at the moment. I didn't even think about it because, well, this kind of thing happens to him, not me.

I'll swap out the airlocks again this morning, but they don't look as messy, so I think the initial burst is coming to an end.

Latest posts

Back