Hungry for Hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm drinking an IPA right now, and have a beer in the fermenter now that is strongly centennial/cascade with some chinook.

I have a hankering for HOPS. Big hops flavor and aroma, but something with a caramel malt backbone for fall drinking.

Here's what I am thinking for my next batch (10 gallons):

18 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 79.1 %
2 lbs Borlander Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.6 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 14.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 18.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 12.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [10.10 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Dryhop with 4 ounces of the above hops (unsure right now which- I may like columbus with amarillo).

In my mind, the Munich malt and crystal malt bring a strong sense of "malt" to this, with a bit of sweetness. But the victory malt would bring some toasty notes, and the hopbursting should bring a huge hops flavor and aroma, to counter the sweet malt.

That's in my mind- but how's the idea look to you guys?

What is your bu:gu? I just did a hoppy pale with about 10% caramel and its a touch sweet. I think the citra and centennial also added to the perception of sweetness. A little more bitterness would have helped me out.

I have had the urge to brew a big ol ipa for a while now. Might just give this one a try once yall have it figured out.

What is your bu:gu? I just did a hoppy pale with about 10% caramel and its a touch sweet. I think the citra and centennial also added to the perception of sweetness. A little more bitterness would have helped me out.

I don't have it in front of me, but it's around .980 or so!

Sound great then. I think the 120 will add some nice depth.

I'm already thinking about changing it. :drunk:

The reason is that I forgot that I have a caramel-ly pale ale (sort of like Mirror Pond) ready to get kegged tomorrow, and I think it might be too much alike for me, although the hops are different.

I'm not thinking of keeping the hops the same, increasing the victory malt a bit, and dropping the 120L. Then I'd be at 6% crystal malt, with a pretty high IBU to balance. That might work out well as a contrast to the APA going on top tomorrow.

I'd scrap the crystal all together and replace it base malt. That's plenty of Munich for a good malty sweetness. Just my 2 cents

I'd scrap the crystal all together and replace it base malt. That's plenty of Munich for a good malty sweetness. Just my 2 cents

I have an IPA on tap right now with no crystal, though.

I want some crystal, but in an IPA, and I want it different than the other two beers that will be on tap at the same time.

I have on tap a brew with a very similar grain bill, but it is not an IPA. I was just enjoying the rich, malty deepness of it thinking "I really need to put together a hop-bursted PA or IPA with this grain bill, that would be awesome"!

In my 5G batch I used .5lb crystal 80 and .25lb belgian special. So instead of dumping the crystal 120 one suggestion would be to reduce your C40 to a lb. Just thinkin' out loud.

truth in advertising: my base grain was Marris Otter. So that might be a difference also. But the rest is very similar.

I have on tap a brew with a very similar grain bill, but it is not an IPA. I was just enjoying the rich, malty deepness of it thinking "I really need to put together a hop-bursted PA or IPA with this grain bill, that would be awesome"!

In my 5G batch I used .5lb crystal 80 and .25lb belgian special. So instead of dumping the crystal 120 one suggestion would be to reduce your C40 to a lb. Just thinkin' out loud.

truth in advertising: my base grain was Marris Otter. So that might be a difference also. But the rest is very similar.

I did originally plan this with maris otter! I'm out, though, and can't get more until I take a little trip to pick some up.

I was considering keeping the 120L, but I think a lighter crystal and the amarillo/columbus/simcoe combination sounds really good to me right now, with the toasty victory malt notes. I might change it before I crush the malt, though!

Any progress on the recipe? I will be brewing next weekend and might give this a try.

Did you ever brew this? Jus wondering how it turned out

Oh, yes, I did actually.

It turned out fantastic! I took a keg of this to our friend's hunting camp, calling it an "IRA (India Red Ale)" as he's an IPA lover as well.

Final recipe was (10.5 gallons):
18 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 8 79.1 %
2 lbs Borlander Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 9 8.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 10 6.6 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 11 3.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 12 2.2 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min 14.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min 19.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min 13.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min 4.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [10.10 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Leaf [10.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 21 0.0 IBUs
HUGE starter of WLP001
OG 1.056 FG 1.012

It's got a definite red color, and it's got great hops flavor and aroma and bitterness to balance all of the sweetness. It's great, and I'll be making it again!

Latest posts

Back