How to "fix" this "bad" beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazman

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal. I've got 10gal of Bee Cave Octoberfest-style Ale that I brewed in late summer. I dropped the OG by a bit and started just under 1.070. The current state is kegged and carb'd.

Here's how I screwed this up. In hindsight, I realize that I not only severely under-pitched the yeast, but the culture was not as healthy as it should have been. I also had some issues during the mash where the mash temp was a little high for 10 mins or so. So, there may be tough-to-ferment sugars in there. This beer finished pretty high and is very "sweet". I don't detect anything else that is "off". But, basically, it's not really good due to the sweetness.

So, is there anything I can do to help this beer? I no longer care whether it's to style, I'm just trying to prevent it going to waste if I can. Here's the options I see but please feel free to make other suggestions.

1. Nothing you can do... just pitch it.
2. Dilute it with another beer. I've tried diluting it with a basic beer like a cream-ale. It took 33%-50% dilution to help. But, it was actually pretty darn good and could still be considered an Octoberfest-style. The real problem is that I really don't have much available and probably won't be brewing again until March/April. So, while possible, not easy for me to accomplish. I also worry whether I'd be throwing good beer after bad.
3. "Hop-it-up" - Is there a suggestion here using dry-hop or hopback that might work? Again, not to style but I really don't care about that. I've never done much with late hopping, so if this is your suggestion, please be specific if you can.

Thanks!
Jaz

Assuming there's still viable yeast looking for something to digest, warm it back up and add some amylase enzyme to the beer...

Cheers!

I'd vote for dry-hopping it. That may decrease the perceived sweetness. If that fails, make a lot of fish and chips or chili.

Back