Things I have learned in last brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetic_entropy

Reaction score
1. Beer is good (oh wait I knew that)

2. If you don't solder your manifold in your mash tun, it can come apart when moving it.
a. 152 degree mash is very hot to put hand in

3. Warm up mash tun, so your temp doesn't fall so much

4. only 1 beer per step until comfortable with process of all grain

5. Don't get involved in a good beer site while mashing. you might end up over 80 minutes.

6. Just because you are new doesn't nessecarily mean that you need to add 3 extra #'s of malt to compensate. 8.5% is still good beer

7. Reitteration of beer is good, to qwell wifies dirty looks

8. Craigslist and ebay kick a$$ for pumps and 10+ gallon carboys

9. BREW ON my good fellow brewers

poetic_entropy said:
1. Beer is good (oh wait I knew that)

2. If you don't solder your manifold in your mash tun, it can come apart when moving it.
a. 152 degree mash is very hot to put hand in

3. Warm up mash tun, so your temp doesn't fall so much

4. only 1 beer per step until comfortable with process of all grain

5. Don't get involved in a good beer site while mashing. you might end up over 80 minutes.

6. Just because you are new doesn't nessecarily mean that you need to add 3 extra #'s of malt to compensate. 8.5% is still good beer

7. Reitteration of beer is good, to qwell wifies dirty looks

8. Craigslist and ebay kick a$$ for pumps and 10+ gallon carboys

9. BREW ON my good fellow brewers

Fantastic. I disagree about connecting the MLT to the manifold. Just screw the two together.

10.) Shaking your MLT that is full of boiling hot water will blow the lid off and steam into your face!

Trappist Artist said:
10.) Shaking your MLT that is full of boiling hot water will blow the lid off and steam into your face!

It always seems like a good idea............then you do it.......

Agreed... except for #2.

Put the manifold together, take some pliers, squeeze very gently, then turn the tubing 90 degrees. You will have a very tight connection then.

Someone else posted their 'disaster' picture recently of a manifold that came apart in the mash tun. Not a pretty picture. I firmly believe in Murphy's Law(s). I soldered my braid to the fittings. For cleaning, my mating fittings have slip joints, but are safety wired together in the tun.

I agree with #2 it happened to me. I have a CPVC manifold and dont use any glue or anyhing to hold it into place just friction. One day there was a wurling of the mighty mash paddle and I disconnected it form the port on the valve. Now it really sucks to dump this into another container and fix. Maybe I do need to go to cooper, but so far only a one time problem.

i had a perfect storm yesterday - my copper manifold came disconnected from my spigot/bulkhead and i quickly discovered that a 158 degree mash is too hot to put my hand into - i then had to dump most of the mash into my kettle which aerated it fabulously (isn't HSA great?) - then i had my first boil over - it was almost like a volcano i was hypnotized

now it appears my starter wasn't big enough - i have some fermentation today but it is rather tame

things i haven't learned - make big starters for lagers, crimp a copper manifold with pliers to keep it together, have the water sprayer in hand after raising the heat on a boil

mummasan said:
i had a perfect storm yesterday - my copper manifold came disconnected from my spigot/bulkhead and i quickly discovered that a 158 degree mash is too hot to put my hand into - i then had to dump most of the mash into my kettle which aerated it fabulously (isn't HSA great?) - then i had my first boil over - it was almost like a volcano i was hypnotized

now it appears my starter wasn't big enough - i have some fermentation today but it is rather tame

things i haven't learned - make big starters for lagers, crimp a copper manifold with pliers to keep it together, have the water sprayer in hand after raising the heat on a boil

No kidding on the hot to the hand part.... just tasted the batch though... hm hm good. Although 8.5% (if my calcs are right) is a little beefy. I gave a sixer to my brother and called it old age ale... knocks your socks off and some panties too. (or boxers for the female persuasion).

I LOVE HOME BREWING:rockin:

Back