The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how they flipped it from the comics. Carl was supposed to kill regular Shane and then Rick comes back to kill zombie Shane...This kind of threw me, kept me guessing. Excellent episode.

Maybe I'm dense and missed this earlier, but this episode also dove a bit deeper into the zombie virus. Its in the air...everyone is a carrier. Death = zombified.

Good episode. Since I didn't cheat like Revvy and read the comic wiki, I just assumed Shane would live forever. Somehow I got suckered in to Rick's words and I thought they were going to hug it out.

Next week looks to be fantastic. Give me 3-4 epic episodes per season. Thats all I ask for.

After a main character dying and that massive wave of zombies approaching, I was kind of thinking series finale next week, but I too have not read the graphic novel nor bothered to check their contract with AMC.

Overall a good episode that gave season 2 some justice. As many mentioned, they'll probably throw in an action packed episode with a cliff hanger ending next week to try to make us forget about how they converted this awesome series into a soap opera.

I hope Lori dies and goes back to bailing out Michael Scofield from prison :)

luke2080 said:
Maybe I'm dense and missed this earlier, but this episode also dove a bit deeper into the zombie virus. Its in the air...everyone is a carrier. Death = zombified.

This.....for those who haven't read the graphic novel is a big part of the story.

Thanks for the vasoline Rev!

I think next week they will be driven from the farm, Hershel, Sophia's mom, and T-dog will die and it will end with them traveling....to the prison. JMHO

Did anyone else see how Lori baited Shane with her lackluster apology and telling him she doesn't know who the baby's daddy is. That right there told me that Shane was gonna try something shady.

can someone explain how the carrier thing (ie death equals zombie) works out with the getting bitten or scratched equals zombie? didn't andreas sister just get bit, and then like go into the coma and what not? are there different levels of zombie-ness - like aids and hiv or something? i like the concept, but it seems like there are a lot of zombies, if it just comes from dying, not contact, and if it's from contact too- something seems a little weird that you could have two very different manifestations of the same disease. Unless maybe the bite kills you first and then you become a zombie- i can't sleep without the scoop... i need the zombie science, man- i don't need read the comic, but since it's out now, it's not spoiling anything...

can someone explain how the carrier thing (ie death equals zombie) works out with the getting bitten or scratched equals zombie? didn't andreas sister just get bit, and then like go into the coma and what not? are there different levels of zombie-ness - like aids and hiv or something? i like the concept, but it seems like there are a lot of zombies, if it just comes from dying, not contact, and if it's from contact too- something seems a little weird that you could have two very different manifestations of the same disease. Unless maybe the bite kills you first and then you become a zombie- i can't sleep without the scoop... i need the zombie science, man- i don't need read the comic, but since it's out now, it's not spoiling anything...

Andrea's sister was bit in the neck and pretty clearly died. It did take her 12-ish hours I would estimate, before she turned. Which is weird since she was actually bitten. Where-as Shane turns in 5 minutes without a bite or scratch. That probably has much more to do with timing for the TV show / plot then anything else.

But - the guy whose name I don't remember, that they left by the side of the road to kill himself pre farm days, did get bitten and was slowly turning. At least that is what they were pushing, since he was getting sicker and delirious after the bite.

So bite and/or scratches while still alive = turn into zombie. Bite and die = zombie. Just die.... = zombie.

So, it would suck for them in the boarded up house if Hershel dies of old age in his sleep. (That would be awesome though, I'll apply for a Walking Dead writer position later this afternoon)

So, it would suck for them in the boarded up house if Hershel dies of old age in his sleep. (That would be awesome though, I'll apply for a Walking Dead writer position later this afternoon)

+1 That would make for a great episode

I haven't read the comics or the wiki, but I'm guessing something outrageous is going to happen with Lori's unborn child. If everyone has the virus, and it's a matter of dying, then if that baby dies in her womb, we're gonna have an Aliens scene. That would be AWESOME...

Andrea's sister was bit in the neck and pretty clearly died. It did take her 12-ish hours I would estimate, before she turned. Which is weird since she was actually bitten. Where-as Shane turns in 5 minutes without a bite or scratch. That probably has much more to do with timing for the TV show / plot then anything else.

But - the guy whose name I don't remember, that they left by the side of the road to kill himself pre farm days, did get bitten and was slowly turning. At least that is what they were pushing, since he was getting sicker and delirious after the bite.

So bite and/or scratches while still alive = turn into zombie. Bite and die = zombie. Just die.... = zombie.

when the group was at the CDC the Last guy that was working on a cure said that the turn rate was different for each person, and that they were not sure why that was.

Certainly a redeeming episode, but I'm still on the fence. I'll probably get my hands on the comics because it really seems like those who've read them enjoy the show more.

it wouldn't be nearly as tragic if he died of auto-erotic asphyxiation. because then at least it would still be funny...

Oh also, did anyone else notice T-dog's 1 liner? "Oh Hail Naw"
I think their attempt at being culturally sensitive is becoming more racist than anything :cross:

Edit: I'd also like to ask to Revvy or any other close followers, have any of you all considered that Merrill (Daryl's brother) could possibly have survived and is the leader of the second group where the kid came from? He did mention that "they are a tough group of guys", and cutting his own hand off fits that description IMO.

Last night show really pissed me off. The ending had so many loopholes it was almost as if the writers were like "screw it lets just kill Shane...somehow". 1) Shane obviously thought this whole thing through (as spur of the moment as it was) why would he wait till he was 500 feet from the house to try and kill Rick and blame it on the prisoner who's body was at least a mile away. 2) Why did the zombies only come after the second gun shot 3) how the hell did they get their so quickly 4) how did Shane turn to a zombie so quickly 5) The whole thing with the little kid pointing the gun at Rick/Shane Zombie was poorly executed and cliche. 6) The only good thing about this episode was was the beer I was drinking and maybe T-Dawg getting some screen time...as stereotypical as it might of been. 7) My hatred for Lori and Andrea has increased.

Last night show really pissed me off. The ending had so many loopholes it was almost as if the writers were like "screw it lets just kill Shane...somehow". 1) Shane obviously thought this whole thing through (as spur of the moment as it was) why would he wait till he was 500 feet from the house to try and kill Rick and blame it on the prisoner who's body was at least a mile away. 2) Why did the zombies only come after the second gun shot 3) how the hell did they get their so quickly 4) how did Shane turn to a zombie so quickly 5) The whole thing with the little kid pointing the gun at Rick/Shane Zombie was poorly executed and cliche. 6) The only good thing about this episode was was the beer I was drinking and maybe T-Dawg getting some screen time...as stereotypical as it might of been. 7) My hatred for Lori and Andrea has increased.

You should probably stop watching television...

Oh also, did anyone else notice T-dog's 1 liner? "Oh Hail Naw"
I think their attempt at being culturally sensitive is becoming more racist than anything :cross:

Edit: I'd also like to ask to Revvy or any other close followers, have any of you all considered that Merrill (Daryl's brother) could possibly have survived and is the leader of the second group where the kid came from? He did mention that "they are a tough group of guys", and cutting his own hand off fits that description IMO.

I was under the assumption that Merrill hacked his way to a escape. Forgot all about him. If that nutjob is still around season three might be way better. With any luck I can watch him die. Twice.

I get the feeling Merryl will take the place of another character from the comics who is supposed to appear this season. I guess if AMC won't let Carl shoot live Shane, at least he can shoot zombie Shane!

Great episode, made up for me siphoning a full racking tube + hose's worth of sanitation solution (LD Carlson "Easy Clean" no rinse) into my bottling bucket on top of my priming sugar. As an aside....batch going to be ok? Was a complete disaster of a bottling night...hose floated up so may not have swirled the sugar and didn't rack bottom up.

Revvy said:
of the season.... I haven't heard if it's been cancelled or will be back again.

It's been renewed, and will be back in October. Wasn't sure if the next one was the last for this season. Shame, as it's finally picking up. Oh well...Mad Men and Game of Thrones returning make me happy.

It's been renewed, and will be back in October. Wasn't sure if the next one was the last for this season. Shame, as it's finally picking up. Oh well...Mad Men and Game of Thrones returning make me happy.

My theory is that it's finally picking up, because it's the last two episode. Like I said earlier it's the old string us along, and throw us just enough crumbs so we get out nerd woody on, and want to come back again, but not enough to actually feed us.

I don't know, from what I've heard about the 3rd season...You're all going to like it. It apparently gets much "darker" and will "press the limits". Idk what that means exactly but it certainly gives me that tingling feeling in my zombie bone.

Lunchtime said:
I don't know, from what I've heard about the 3rd season...You're all going to like it. It apparently gets much "darker" and will "press the limits". Idk what that means exactly but it certainly gives me that tingling feeling in my zombie bone.

I know they've veered off course from the comics, but there is really no way for them to not get darker if they want to follow the story from the books at all. Considering a certain character has been confirmed for Season 3, I'm looking forward to it.

I think Revvy is right, we have an abusive relationship with this show. Its like the woman who doesnt call you for weeks and shows up wearing only a trenchcoat just as you are about to hit send on the breakup email.

Man I love metaphors.

We lost Shane, good. Still stuck with Rick and Carl, sigh. T-Bone got a line, assuring his guild membership card, which I guess is good. He is perhaps the single most underused character on television.

Lori and Andrea, still unbelievably annoying. Hate with the intensity of a supernova. Or maybe just a really souped up chevy nova.

I don't see how people don't like Rick...He is the perfect mix of Shane/Dale. He has a moral compass but he will do what needs to be done. I assumed most people would like Rick a bit more when he killed those two guys in that bar...That was badass.

I think we hate Rick for the same reason we hate emo music. He's something of a whiner and if that accent is real then... actually I'm out of metaphors... it aint real and thus its annoying.

lol well it's not real because Rick is British...I like the guy, I always thought Shane was a ******. The best guy obviously is Daryl though...LOVE him. He should be running the group IMO.

My problem with Rick has always been that it isn't even remotely believeable that other people would see him as a leader. There's nothing wrong with being morally torn and indecisive in such a strange world, but when surrounded by a few other people who seem/seemed willing to make quick and bold decisions (Shane and Andrea), its just not believeable that he's the leader. Maybe it's just because they dragged the situation with him and Shane out too long that makes it hard for me to believe.

Shane certainly had psychotic tendencies, but at times he also saw the situation for what it was and had the best ideas on how to deal with the issues. If you take away his mental problems, he was by far the most realistic leader, especially when Rick first came back. Shane had his **** together in those last few episodes of Season 1, until his breakdown at the CDC.

With Rick's incredible indecisiveness, and his strange acceptance of the situation with his wife (it was the biggest issue in season 1 and the beginning of this season, and once he found out it just went away), I just feel that him and Shane should have realistically had it out much sooner than they did.

And why don't more people call out Lori on how she's been playing both sides for so long? She's the highest form of manipulator, everyone has to see it, but again, nothing other than occasional mentions by Andrea. Personally, I like Andrea. Her and Daryl are the most "real" characters in my opinion. In everyone else I just can't stand the personality inconsistancies.

Can I also point out that not punching Shane in that giant melon head of his when he found out about the vomitous Shane/Lori saga doesnt make him a "level-headed" person, it wound up making him look like a doormat. His reaction, in the back of my head and in the back of other people's I'm sure, said "wow, this wuss is going to get everyone eaten."

Exactly. It was like he didn't even care. Rick has never even acknowledged that the baby might not be his, which he MUST realize considering the timing of everything. It would have been much more believeable if the whole Shane/Rick thing went down within an episode of him finding out what happened. Now, the way I see it, any woman in Lori's position would have been more attracted to shane as he showed the most desire for her and approached her about it multiple times. Rick was just like, "Yeah, you banged him, I figured. Let's move on."

I could understand "lets talk about this like men, we were after all friends before all this happened" but his reaction was so milquetoast that I understood why he was having problems with Lori to begin with. Nothing says I love you like not caring you screw other dudes.

Pursuant to a thread I started a while back, I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I would love to hit Lori (I think just the character, but maybe the actor as well) in the face with a salmon.

Back