Winter Cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robcore

Reaction score
Due to the non-success of my summer cider due to faulty equipment, I was relatively put off homebrewing for a while. However, I decided to take the plunge and get all fixed up blah blah credit crunch etc and i'm ready to brew again!
In tune with the seasons, I want to make something I can enjoy over the winter. What a winter taste is, however, i'm stuck on.
I'd like this to be an apple based cider, so that's apple juice sorted. What shall I flavour it with though? This is essentially my first home brew, so secondary racking isn't really preferable - as i'm still not sure entirely what i'm doing! hahah. I do, however, have my oh-so-experienced dad to help me out this time, as he's seeing if he can make red wine from vimto this week.:confused:
Anyway, I am looking for recipe suggestions basically. I like fruity things.
My guess is along the lines of Berries. Maybe a combo of blue and raspberries or something - who knows!
Any ideas? Cheers!

I was going to say some nice mulling spices would be perfect. I have made a spiced cider with cinnamon, allspice, nutmed etc and it turned out fantastic. But when you mentioned berries, that opens up all types of options. I am getting ready to bottle my blueberry cider (its in my drop down recipes, not to toot my own horn or anything) but that is roughly 11.5% and I'm not sure that could really be done in time for a winter brew. I started in January haha.

Having said all that, you certainly could take ideas from my experience, I have it all in a thread, and come up with your own recipe. That is what I did with help from a couple more experienced brewers. Pick what kind of berries you want, how strong you want it, in sweetness, abv, and fruit flavors and go from there. If you are careful about sanitation, it's hard to go wrong!

I saw your blueberry cider actually old chap, looked good but a little advanced and yeah, will take a while too. I'm really after just firing off a brew for the hell of it at the moment, nothing particulary fantastic:D
Is it possible to just shove different kinds of fruit in one fermentation and will this taste good enough or is it worth looking at other methods?
Don't worry, later on, i'll get to some real brewing. Right now, I just want to know I can do it!

Like I said, my recipe might not fit your agenda, but perhaps you can get some ideas. The basic idea is just like what you want, my imagination just got the better of me. I would suggest starting with just apple juice. You can use anything, from fresh pressed or the stuff you buy at the store. Just make sure there are no preservatives in it other then ascorbic acid/vitamin C. To that I would add between 1-2 lbs per gallon of fruit of your choice. The blueberries too me compliment the apple flavor well, but I often see raspberry and cranberry. You can add them either in primary fermentation or in secondary, I found you get more fruit flavor adding them in secondary.

so, juice + fruit + yeast = happy times in a month or two and even better if you wait longer!

That's cool, cheers for the info. I will probably go for just one fermentation at the moment as I don't want to do anything i'm not sure of - after this one's done, i'll go for something a little more interesting. I've actually gone and bought an apple kit to start with, it's probably a tad rubbish but it'll definately get me started.
Now, I ponder when to get started:D

Back