Arroz Loco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone mashed wild rice? SWMBO is into lots of different kinds of rice and she made one the other day that was really sweet and delicious and all I could think of was 'I wonder what would happen If I mashed this?' I realize you would need to do it with some 2-row for the enzymes, but I was wondering what it would add to a beer. You would probably need to cook it as well?

I brewed with rice a long time ago and it was fairly easy. I ground the rice then cooked it for 30 minutes. It was then added it to my mash and converted with all the other grains. If I remember right, the rice had no effect on the taste. It just made the beer lighter and a bit more alcoholic. The rice I used was white un-cooked (Not instant).

Well, i guess I'll post my results and enlighten everyone as to what wild rice does. I may do a test mash and see what I get, either way I'll let you jakals know what happens.

I don't know much about whole grain, but did you know that wild rice is actually a type of grass? If you get true wild rice, it will all be black. When you buy Uncle Ben's wild rice, it is a blend of wild rice and white rice. There is almost zero starch content to wild rice.

owuldnt you have to gelatinize it or something by cooking it for a bit before you mashed? could be interesing, you should try it.

Capital brewery in Madison Wi used to do a wild rice beer, but it has been a long time since I have had one. I used to like their stuff at UW Mad's unions.

MP Wall

Back