First home brew finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I made an ipa and it tastes amazing but when I open it, it foams/overflows so much to the point that I only have about 4 ounces left in the cup.

How big was the batch and how much sugar did you use to prime for carbonation? It could be that you used a bit too much priming sugar and it's over-carbonated. You can ease the cap off and let it vent a little then re-cap, just to relieve a bit of pressure. Probably wise to wear gloves and glasses on the off-chance of a bottlebomb or so.

How many bottles have you opened/tried? Are they all similar or is there varying degrees of gushing? If it wasn't from using too much priming sugar it could be the sign of an infection, in which case it might be better to drink them as soon as reasonably possible.

How long have they been in the fridge prior to opening them? The cold forces the CO2 into the beer, which limits the gushing. I usually refrigerate my beers at least 5 days before opening.

That happens to me when I've bottled too early. The priming sugar mixes with yeast still in suspension and takes off fermenting in the bottle. How long did it stay in fermenter(s) before you bottled?

BobbiLynn said:
That happens to me when I've bottled too early. The priming sugar mixes with yeast still in suspension and takes off fermenting in the bottle. How long did it stay in fermenter(s) before you bottled?

2 weeks. And then were bottles for two weeks. I think it has to do with me using honey instead of the sugar maybe?

Yes if you used too much honey that would cause overcarbonation. How much did you use and how much beer was there in the end. We can calculate if you added the right amount of sugar for bottle conditioning.

Most of the time,if your beer hit FG before bottling,& you didn't use too much sugar in your priming solution,it's not been fridged or not long enough.
The compressed co2 in the head space acts as a nucleation point for the dissolved co2 to combine with,& gushes foam. It basically feeds off itself. Try fridging for at least 1 week. That should tame it down.

2 weeks isn't always long enough. And with honey, one batch of honey can contain more sugar than another batch. And probably takes longer to break down than other sugars. I have bottled after 2 weeks when it was ready, and other times when 2 weeks wasn't long enough and the beer spewed everywhere when I opened it.

The beer should be clear when you bottle, otherwise the yeast in suspension will go crazy over the priming sugar, start fermenting again, and cause over-carbonation.

And what unionrdr said. Fridge it.

fork said:
Yes if you used too much honey that would cause overcarbonation. How much did you use and how much beer was there in the end. We can calculate if you added the right amount of sugar for bottle conditioning.

I used what te recipe called for which was 3 tablespoons for a one gallon batch.

Ogri said:
How big was the batch and how much sugar did you use to prime for carbonation? It could be that you used a bit too much priming sugar and it's over-carbonated. You can ease the cap off and let it vent a little then re-cap, just to relieve a bit of pressure. Probably wise to wear gloves and glasses on the off-chance of a bottlebomb or so.

How many bottles have you opened/tried? Are they all similar or is there varying degrees of gushing? If it wasn't from using too much priming sugar it could be the sign of an infection, in which case it might be better to drink them as soon as reasonably possible.

I brewed a one gallon batch, used three tablespoons of honey which the recipe called for. I opened two bottles both of which lost half my beer in the bottle. Maybe I filled the bottle up to much. But the beer doesn't look infected, and it tastes amazing from what's left of the beer after gushing. Speaking of bottle bomb of them exploded a week after bottling and the beer was in my closet with my clothes in there haha I know not to put them in my closet any more. Some dude said to refrigerate for 5 days and it should settle carbonation

BobbiLynn said:

I fermented in gallon carbon for 11 day which the recipe called for then bottled for two weeks. It tastes amazing just don't much out of a 12 oz bottle haha

Thanks eeverykne for the input I will try all of those things. But other than the spewing it tastes amazing!!! XD

I used what te recipe called for which was 3 tablespoons for a one gallon batch.

That sounds a little high especially if there was still some fermenting going on from the wort additions. That would be almost 1C per 5 gal. I don't prime with honey so I could be wrong.

krackin said:
That sounds a little high especially if there was still some fermenting going on from the wort additions. That would be almost 1C per 5 gal. I don't prime with honey so I could be wrong.

A guy that works at a home brew shop said honey tends to do that. So next time I'll have to use priming sugar. Honey adds a great taste though. Kind of a bummer.

With only 3TBSP of honey in a gallon of beer,you obviously didn't give it time to get down to a stable FG. Honey isn't that explosive in such small amounts. The way it's gushing I'd say still fermenting & added more sugar on top of that in bottles. Boom is the result. Don't push to get a batch done,& don't assume because the bubbling stops it's done. Both are wrong.
Bottled beers can still gush if not properly fridged for at least 5-7 days. An hour or less in the freezer doesn't work either. Fridge for the week & beersuvious will go dormant.

Back