made friends with the neighbor---NOT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snccoulter

Reaction score
So since we moved in the guy across the street has been blaring his electric guitar and amp. (It would be one thing if he was good but he sounds like 2 cats f%&king) So I have called the cops no less than 12 times. Last night it was twice. This morning I found the back window of my truck busted out. With a 32oz miller high life bottle. I called the cops gave my statement then ran into the father a few hours later as I was cleaning told the old man I would not press charges if the window was fixed. Then the son. Probably 35 36ish comes storming out says he is going to kick my a double s. Someone called the cops. And the guy ends up in county for being under the influance of narcotics. So the guy is doubly mad now one for ending up in county and now daddy knows his son is back on the dope. I think it is time to leave my St. Bernard on the front yard. He won't bite but he will hold you down till I make him move...

Wow. Nice neighbor. Was the dad cool?

That kind of idiot will probably kill your dog just to make a statement. I would just deal with him myself.

Six feet under a fella like that belongs. Think a Californian can get a hold of a big enough pellet gun to do the honors?

Seriously, though. I'd be looking into some kind of security system for when this guy gets out and I'd definitely be considering self defense when he gets out. A dipsh*it like that is likely to come after you, your family, your property, your animals to get revenge. Be safe, be legal.

yeah i'm with TXCurtis, couldn't hurt to be a little paranoid by this point. A security camera might keep him from trying to do something stupid to your truck again.

Even one of those fake ones will scare away a lot of people but a real one has an added benefit of actually working.

A security camera might keep him from trying to do something stupid to your truck again.

A 35 year old junkie? I doubt it.
But a couple of fly back transformers wired properly would make a very nice taser. I bet that would make him think twice about keeping the BS up.

I'd be interested to hear how you were able to stick the breaking of your trucks window to this guy. Unless you had some sort of evidence to link him to the crime, I'm surprised the police gave you the time of day. The only way I can imagine a beer bottle breaking a car window is if it were flung out of a moving car.

No doubt this guys sounds like a dirt-bag. However, if I was having issues with my neighbor and he accused me of property damage I didn't do, I'd probably be storming out of my house to have a little chat with my neighbor too.

Also, I hope you went over and politely asked him to turn down the music before calling the po-po on him.

This makes you a d-bag. Unless the dude is playing at 3am and you can hear it inside your house you're a d-bag.

Wow, you are defending the junkie who is obviously violent and disrespectful. People have a right to peace and quiet, that is why there are noise violations. Way to class-up this conversation.

dfc said:
This makes you a d-bag. Unless the dude is playing at 3am and you can hear it inside your house you're a d-bag.

Wtf?

If a neighbor routinely disrupted the peace and quiet of my property, I'd do the same thing. There is most likely a noise ordinance that prohibits such things. If, after asking the neighbor politely to quiet down, he didn't, I'd call the cops too.

There is absolutely no reason that guy couldn't use a set of headphones to practice.

Luckily, my neighbors are craft beer lovers, and can be easily won over by a bottle or two of homebrew.

It ONLY makes him a d-bag if he never tried knocking on the door and asking them to quiet down, or calling them and asking. If he skipped straight to calling the cops...d-bag. If he called the cops because being a good neighbor and calling/knocking on their door was unsuccessful, then he did the right thing.

Oh, and yeah, OP: Get a gun, or if you have a gun...spend some time at the range practicing. Just in case. Sounds like this guys a wack job.

You do understand we have noise laws for a reason, If your breaking the law you are being a ****** bag not the person calling.

I've walked down the street in the middle of the afternoon and asked people to turn down their music because it was waking up my kids, and strangely my non ****** bag neighbors turned it down.

Yes I asked him to turn it down, he was so drunk I was told to F&%k off. you have no right to aske me to do anything you move in and expect me to change. F&%k you. So that is when I started calling the cops. Oh and with the noise my children cannot nap because it is so loud. I have spoken to all the neighbors and everyone is to afraid to do anything because they cause problems. The bottle broke out the back window it is kinda like a a side window so it would not take to much to break.

Well, it's good to hear that you at least attempted to solve the problem face to face without going straight to the cops. I hate it when people can't just tell you their issues with you to your face. I live in an uptight HOA neighborhood that was developed under the slogan "apartment style living....in a house". Well, since the housing market crash, the demographic has dramatically changed from 45+ yr olds, to mid-20's military members and younger families. We have zero say on what goes on in the neighborhood...can't have a trailer in the driveway, can't wash my car in the driveway, can't put up a fence in my back yard, the HOA mows and waters my lawn, they shovel my driveway...its just ridiculous. Whatever happened to homeowner pride...where when you buy a house you take care of it yourself, or if you physically cannot, then pay a neighbor kid 10 bucks a week to mow the lawn. If you want to live in an apartment, live in a F%$%#$ING apartment! Sorry, that was a little :off:

Well, it's good to hear that you at least attempted to solve the problem face to face without going straight to the cops. I hate it when people can't just tell you their issues with you to your face. I live in an uptight HOA neighborhood that was developed under the slogan "apartment style living....in a house". Well, since the housing market crash, the demographic has dramatically changed from 45+ yr olds, to mid-20's military members and younger families. We have zero say on what goes on in the neighborhood...can't have a trailer in the driveway, can't wash my car in the driveway, can't put up a fence in my back yard, the HOA mows and waters my lawn, they shovel my driveway...its just ridiculous. Whatever happened to homeowner pride...where when you buy a house you take care of it yourself, or if you physically cannot, then pay a neighbor kid 10 bucks a week to mow the lawn. If you want to live in an apartment, live in a F%$%#$ING apartment! Sorry, that was a little :off:

LMAO We don't have these crazy HOA's in canada that I know of, I had a friend over from texas and he told me that the HOA would go crazy over my place. Apparently having garbage cans at the side of the house and bikes and wagons in the driveway is a no no

Yeah, I just recently separated from the military, and I went home to see my family that I hardly had seen due to "military trips" over the last 5 years, and thus, I was packing up a 10 ft enclosed trailer in my driveway. Took me a couple days to get it fully packed up. Well, when I got back from vacation, I was pleasantly greeted with a $100 fine for parking my trailer in my driveway for over 24 hours. Thanks HOA...Thanks.

Oh yeah, and on top of that, I pay $125/month for my HOA to fine me $100 for my trailer...hey HOA, good thing I'm paying you to fine me!?

Oh yeah, and on top of that, I pay $125/month for my HOA to fine me $100 for my trailer...hey HOA, good thing I'm paying you to fine me!?

Only upside to the HOA is you're less likely to end up with a "the crackhead" looking house. I'm not paying anyone to do my yard when I can do it for less.

The thing is, the city I live in doesn't even have a apartment complex (an almost nonexistent crime rate) and is a really young city overall...not exactly a recipe for "crackhead" neighborhoods. However, I do have one neighbor that sits in his garage with the garage door open and drinks BMC all damn day...every day. I'm OK with drinking beer all day, but it had better be craft brew!

The thing is, the city I live in doesn't even have a apartment complex (an almost nonexistent crime rate) and is a really young city overall...not exactly a recipe for "crackhead" neighborhoods. However, I do have one neighbor that sits in his garage with the garage door open and drinks BMC all damn day...every day. I'm OK with drinking beer all day, but it had better be craft brew!

I wasn't talking about a real crack house, just one that looks like crap and is all run down because the homeowner is a slob. We have one at the end of the block. Garage door is all rotted, house covered in mold/mildew, blue tarp covering front bedroom window for 5 years now, but both the husband and wife drive BMWs.

His title says Audio Engineer/Instructor. Maybe it's him.

Nah, the OP said the neighbor sucked at guitar.

Also I would completely call the cops on the guy if he was waking me up. What would knocking on his door do? The type of person who plays an electric guitar loud enough to wake up the neighbors during normal sleeping hours isn't the type of person that will listen to your request for him to quiet down.

I like the idea of putting up a camera, but I wouldn't make it obvious. This guy is going to do something again. If he sees you have a camera he'll just wear a hoodie and sunglasses or something like that. Put up a camera that he won't notice, then when he does something you'll have him caught red handed.

If that doesn't work, then I only have one other suggestion. The only way to fight crazy is with super crazy.

Nah, the OP said the neighbor sucked at guitar.

Also I would completely call the cops on the guy if he was waking me up. What would knocking on his door do? The type of person who plays an electric guitar loud enough to wake up the neighbors during normal sleeping hours isn't the type of person that will listen to your request for him to quiet down.

OP never said that this guy in question was playing guitar during normal sleeping hours, just that he was playing it badly.

I like the idea of putting up a camera, but I wouldn't make it obvious. This guy is going to do something again. If he sees you have a camera he'll just wear a hoodie and sunglasses or something like that. Put up a camera that he won't notice, then when he does something you'll have him caught red handed.

To be fair, from the OP's story it isn't clear that the guy in question threw the bottle/broke the window in the first place. Innocent until proven guilty, even for dirtbags who play guitar poorly.

If that doesn't work, then I only have one other suggestion. The only way to fight crazy is with super crazy.

Might also get your ass shot by some crazy

Exactly! That's the way I do it, and it'd always worked perfect.

OP never said that this guy in question was playing guitar during normal sleeping hours, just that he was playing it badly.

Nope. The OP said he was playing badly, and way too loud, and that his kids couldn't sleep.

Might also get your ass shot by some crazy

If you can get outsmarted by a junkie, you deserve to be shot. Other than that, the way this guy is acting, there's no warranty he won't shoot him, regardless.

However, I do have one neighbor that sits in his garage with the garage door open and drinks BMC all damn day...every day. I'm OK with drinking beer all day, but it had better be craft brew!

I used to be a garbage man and one of my weekly stops was a middle aged single guy that did the same thing, every week he'd have a 35-gallon can filled with CRUSHED miller lite cans. As far as I could tell he was quite unpopular in the neighborhood so most likely they were all his.

As far as a security camera, pick up a trail cam, their motion activated and take pretty good pictures, hell of a lot easier than putting up a video camera and then watching it to see if/when something happens.

To the OP:

Get an Order of Protection. While it likely won't stop him from trying to do something to you, it will do a few things:

1. If he even yells at you, which would normally be at most harrassment, he just committed a felony and might see jail time.

2. It gives you the upper hand if you do end up in a physical altercation with him. Even if you win, having the OOP looks good when the cops show up.

3. Depending on your local laws, it may induce police attention. Here, people who take out OOP's get bi-weekly visits from the police without them having to call. When the perp sees this, it makes a lasting impression.

I wasn't talking about a real crack house, just one that looks like crap and is all run down because the homeowner is a slob. We have one at the end of the block. Garage door is all rotted, house covered in mold/mildew, blue tarp covering front bedroom window for 5 years now, but both the husband and wife drive BMWs.

Sounds like the Dave Ramsey plan if you ask me. And yes, I understood what you meant by crack house...that's kind of my point, is that this is what I would consider a middle-to-upper class city. There is no "downtown"...more like a sleeping city for people that don't want to actually live in Colorado Springs. Either way, it's friggin' ridiculous. You can't escape these damn HOA's here in southern Colorado without living next to the BMW couple with blue tarp windows. :ban:

don't put the pressure on the dog dude..mans best friend remember?
Get you some fire arms and sack up. my neighbor is scared to death of me, Little punk ***** gets reminded every 4rth of july...

It ONLY makes him a d-bag if he never tried knocking on the door and asking them to quiet down, or calling them and asking. If he skipped straight to calling the cops...d-bag. If he called the cops because being a good neighbor and calling/knocking on their door was unsuccessful, then he did the right thing.

Oh, and yeah, OP: Get a gun, or if you have a gun...spend some time at the range practicing. Just in case. Sounds like this guys a wack job.

Agreed. I guess I should have elaborated.

Yes I asked him to turn it down, he was so drunk I was told to F&%k off. you have no right to aske me to do anything you move in and expect me to change. F&%k you. So that is when I started calling the cops. Oh and with the noise my children cannot nap because it is so loud. I have spoken to all the neighbors and everyone is to afraid to do anything because they cause problems. The bottle broke out the back window it is kinda like a a side window so it would not take to much to break.

I retract my statement and apologize for jumping to conclusions. I was posting after sampling some of my home brew therefore didn't use much tact.

Do you play guitar?

I have a guitar and amp, but I'm no guitarist. I am a bassist and a drummer though and I play my instruments in my house. If one of my neighbors were to call the cops on me without having a face to face with me I'd consider them d-bags.

However, read my last few posts. I explained my rather aggressive post.

So since we moved in the guy across the street has been blaring his electric guitar and amp. (It would be one thing if he was good but he sounds like 2 cats f%&king) So I have called the cops no less than 12 times. Last night it was twice. This morning I found the back window of my truck busted out. With a 32oz miller high life bottle. I called the cops gave my statement then ran into the father a few hours later as I was cleaning told the old man I would not press charges if the window was fixed. Then the son. Probably 35 36ish comes storming out says he is going to kick my a double s. Someone called the cops. And the guy ends up in county for being under the influance of narcotics. So the guy is doubly mad now one for ending up in county and now daddy knows his son is back on the dope. I think it is time to leave my St. Bernard on the front yard. He won't bite but he will hold you down till I make him move...

Idiots like that are likely to hurt or kill your dog. A tennis ball soaked in antifreeze will kill a dog just as sure as a .44 in the head, just more slowly & painfully. Odds are the a$$hole will blame you for his problems, it's only a matter of time before he gets drunk or stoned & with what few inhibitions he has gone, he'll do something to get even.

I'd get some security cameras set up & start recording all the time. Even a webcam pointing out the window will help. Nothing says "guilty" like incriminating video. You can also get non-functional cameras to use as a deterrent. You might want to look into your legal options as far as restraining orders & such. Good luck. Regards, GF.

I don't know the laws in your area but here your camera can at no time record events on another persons property making it hard to set cameras up

This time he really scrued up he decided the music. Had to be ultra loud so the cops were called again well he has the worst luck possible he was pissing in the front yard when the cop arrived. Again it is all my fault he went to the poky

How many times do you think this guy will go to jail before he gets all crazy junkie on you and tries to get even? Also, where is his father when the music is turned up to 11?

Drunk out of his mind also.
The answer to the other question is ????? I will have to play bit by ear..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back