Doppelbock not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I brewed a doppelbock with an OG of 1.077. I let it fermented to near final gravity and then gave it a diacytel rest. After the rest I chilled it back down and let it sit for another week. Total time on the yeast was 3 weeks. I just kegged it for lagering and this beer is just not clearing at all.

The final gravity is 1.010 and the taste was certainly alcoholic.....but I didn't taste anything out of the ordinary. It just won't clear.

Not sure if this is normal for lagers with a bigger gravity or what. I have had my lower gravity lagers clear up great in primary. Not sure what is going on here.

hopefully no dang infection!

Please do not use the "I" word. :) Joking, but really - I doubt its an infection.

I have made quite a few doppels, and they RARELY clear within a few MONTHS - let alone at all. I do not use any finings, I bottle carb everything - no kegs here. What I would say, is if you want that to be clear, wait.

Mind you, since I do not keg at the moment, I could be wrong but you might want to try using a wine kit clearing combo, and rack off into a new keg. Seems like a lot of work, and risks oxidization. Other more experienced keggers may pitch in...

What yeast did you use? Seems like a low FG for a dopplebock, but that shouldn't matter. I just racked my dopplebock the other day and it's only been 2 weeks since brewing, but I don't plan on touching it for 4-5 months.

What yeast did you use? Seems like a low FG for a dopplebock, but that shouldn't matter. I just racked my dopplebock the other day and it's only been 2 weeks since brewing, but I don't plan on touching it for 4-5 months.

Wyeast 2001 Urquell. I know it isn't the perfect yeast for it, but its what I had around.

It is a very low FG, I think it is because I pitched on a yeast cake from a 1.040 OG pils cake. Overpitch.

Did you add any sugar or DME to the boil? Thats what usually drives my FG down low. I had an imp. stout that went from 1.083 to 1.012 because I used some DME to adjust for a stuck mash and horrible efficiency.

Thats interesting. I just brewed one on sunday with OG 1.084. I'm expecting it to finish somewhere around 1.017-20 but I can't believe that It would finish any lower than that unless the mash temp was also low. I have only had 1 batch that didn't clear and that was in fact, due to a lacto infection. But I could taste it in the samples and actually see little floaters throughout the beer. Interestingly enough, after washing and reusing the yeast(before knowing it was infected), I made a second lager that wasn't infected. It sounds like yours just needs some time.

I pitched mine on a yeast cake also but it only got to 1.020 (from 1.075) It may drop a few more points if I am lucky. However, I mashed at 157deg, so I expected it to drop to about 1.018. Taste is very sweet at the moment, but that should mellow with the lagering. Fingers crossed here.

Back