The Boil and Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Im sure someone can answer these for me - thanks !

1.) If Im half way through sparging but the wort is already boiling can I add my hops and start timing the boil or must I wait till I have sparged my full volume ?

2.) If Im planning hop additions from 30mins do I still need to boil for 60min ?

1. You should wait. Volume effects isomerization. But...it's not a huge deal.
2. No need to boil for 60 minutes. Just make sure you plan accordingly and have the correct pre-boil volumes.

You don't NEED to boil a whole hour, but you might get a clearer beer if you do. Part of the purpose of boiling wort is to get proteins to coagulate and drop out. Also, DMS prevention may be worth the time and fuel for a full hour boil.

I brewed an APA with Citra. 20min boil and hopburst. Two techniques Ive not tried before. I added the first hops before I was finished sparging, trouble is when I had boiled for 20mins the sparge wasn't finished. I had to boil an extra 10mins which pushed my IBU from 36 to 46 (!). And so much for hopburst - 20/10/5 became 30/20/5. Oh well.

Back