Age my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talcottsk

Reaction score
Does it matter if I age cider in really cold temps like 20F to 50F? I guess freezing would be a bad idea? How long should I age it? I've heard 3 months, too long too short or depends on the recipie??

Talcottsk said:
Does it matter if I age cider in really cold temps like 20F to 50F? I guess freezing would be a bad idea? How long should I age it? I've heard 3 months, too long too short or depends on the recipie??

Aging your cider in cold temps isn't a bad idea - obviously it'll need some 'warmth' if you want to carbonate it by priming it with sugar first before it gets chilled. I wouldn't however store it below freezing to age it. It'll crack your bottles/etc when the ice expands if your not careful for one thing. As for the length of aging i would say it depends on the recipe - the higher the alcohol level in the cider the longer it may take to mature

Back