GFCI Install

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymi86

Reaction score
I'm starting to piece together my brewery and I am putting together an electric BK. I was planning on installing my GFCI right into my control panel box. I purchased a Siemens 30A 2 pole GFCI from eBay and I just got it today. After taking a look at it I am realizing this might be tricker than I had hoped due to how it's designed to be installed. Has anyone done anything like this? Would I be better of getting a breaker box (like a spa panel) and just using that as my control panel box?

I should mention...I'm in an apartment, so I don't have a way to put the GFCI in my main panel.

I'm drawing a blank on finding a link, but there are definitely in-line versions of the GFCI that just look like an extension cord with a built in breaker. If you have a normal breaker-style GFCI, you'll probably need a box that's made to accept that type of breaker. Like you suggested, you could then just use that breaker box as your control panel.

Unfortunately I had already purchased a GFCI meant for a breaker panel...here's how I am installing it.

74b78b7f.jpg

d503bda4.jpg

3e3e8c79.jpg

27cd3474.jpg

The hole for the GFCI to stick out the back of the box is snug, and the L bracket is plenty too keep it from moving around. The smaller L bracket is connected to an aluminum connector I made from some sheet stock. That will be bolted to the side of the box and line up with the appropriate slot on the GFCI. I of course will have one for each hot line. Looks like it's going to work out pretty good.

Personally, I would NOT do that.

If your homemade lug expands/contracts you end up with arcing in the box.

Personally, I would NOT do that.

If your homemade lug expands/contracts you end up with arcing in the box.

Hmm, good point, Ill have to think about that and see if I can come up with something else.

I'm not feeling too good about this thread.

I suggest you look at spa panels with the breaker in there. They are a good deal and can be had at local HW stores.

Can you elaborate on what you don't feel good about?

The link I posted above is an enclosure that you can plug your breaker into. You then have feed lugs and the load lugs on the breaker for connections. Its only $11 and is the proper way to use a plug on circuit breaker.

Would a portable GFCI plug work? If you're in an apartment, how can you run 30 amp service or do any electrical work w/out their sign-off (which I would think is not going to happen).

The link I posted above is an enclosure that you can plug your breaker into. You then have feed lugs and the load lugs on the breaker for connections. Its only $11 and is the proper way to use a plug on circuit breaker.

I think I'll end up going with that. Thanks.

Would a portable GFCI plug work? If you're in an apartment, how can you run 30 amp service or do any electrical work w/out their sign-off (which I would think is not going to happen).

I have a free dryer outlet that I am planning on using, I won't be messing with any of the electrical that's in place. I tried looking for a plug-and-play solution but couldn't find anything that wasn't really expensive.

I assumed that if I installed the gfci in a way that was secure that it wouldn't be a problem, but apparently I'm out of line...I'll just pick up the box that lschiavo posted and use that as my control panel.

Latest posts

Back