Corny Keg cleaning between batches....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albysurfin

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's normal cleaning procedure is between batches? I just kicked a keg yesterday, and have got something in secondary to put in it tonight, I hosed it out with a high pressure nozzle filled it up with star san pulled the posts and lid and boiled. Does this sound like an alright cleaning procedure between kegs that have just been kicked and are being refilled shortly thereafter? Or should I include an Oxyclean soaking and scrubbing?

Your thoughts are appreciated!!!!

Brian

I Rinse, Soak with cleaner (I use TSP), then Sanitize. I only break down the kegs every 5-6 batches, as I think it's unnecessary if there's no infection present. A sealed, Pressurized keg will stay clean sanitary for a long time, I bet you could simply rinse well, and sanitize when you're turning them over that quickly.

I take everything apart
soak in PBW
re grease the seals and reassemble
I store them clean, open and dry

When I want to fill it again I sanitize it with star san then fill.

When I kick a keg, I rinse it out very well, and give it a short soak with oxyclean and hot water, shaking occasionally. I remove the posts just long enough to spritz some hot water down the pickup tubes and rinse the posts off in HOT water.

Once the keg's rinsed and reassembled, I fill it with 1/2 gallon of sanitizer (I generally use iodophor), and store under a bit of pressure to keep the keg sealed up. I rebuild a keg every 3 or 4 uses, which works out to once a year or so with six kegs in the rotation. I clean my beer lines, couplers, and taps (I still use picnic taps, but with 10' lines) with hot water and sanitizer when I clean the keg, or whenever I need them to transfer wort/finished beer into the keg.

When I'm ready to fill the keg, I use the residual pressure in the keg to discharge the sanitizer, and I'm good to go.

Back