What new equipment did you get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
I got a turkey fryer, so excited!

Going to go out tomorrow on Boxing Day to pick up a cooler and some hardware to make my mash tun, and try to do my first all grain on Tuesday.

So, what all new stuff did you guys get from Santa?

I got a 3 gal ball lock keg. A sanke. Fermenting kit from brewers hardware. Oxygen stone/wand & regulator. Foodsaver for vacuum sealing my hops. I hope to brew again on Tuesday as well.

I got two turkey fryers, a grain mill, a carboy cover, a yeast starter set, all the grains yeast and hops for my favorite brew (milk stout), and brews moth software. Brewed today (but proceeded to drop my hydrometer). Guess I have to go to the lhbs tomorrow!

I Got 2 bronze head March 809-HS pumps and 7 sets of stainless camlocks.

I got a turkey fryer, so excited!

Going to go out tomorrow on Boxing Day to pick up a cooler and some hardware to make my mash tun, and try to do my first all grain on Tuesday.

So, what all new stuff did you guys get from Santa?

While you are out buying stuff, try to pick up a couple of 5 gallon paint strainer bags so you can try BIAB as well as traditional all grain. If you can, get some 1 gallon size too so you can control the hop particles when you use pellets to dry hop.

My eyesight isn't what I remember and I think I used 8 ounces of corn sugar to prime a 5 gallon batch since I couldn't read the numbers on my little scale so I bought a digital scale that weighs from .2 oz to 35 pounds and plan to use it to weigh the grains, priming sugar and even for splitting hop additions. It looks like the numbers are big enough to read and it even has a tare function so I can put on a container, punch the tare button and then proceed to weigh the contents of the container.

Das Boot!!! and The Oxford Companion to Beer. Actually, my first baby (boy) is due January 3rd and he got more homebrew stuff than I did. I'll take a picture with everything when he arrives so he can show it off.

image-3569903056.jpg

uggh. Can't tell what I got. My brewing xmas presents were stolen off our front step. We live in a good neighborhood, get dozens of packages a month, and have never had a problem

2 Fridays ago FOUR packages are stolen off our step. SO PISSED. SWMBO confirmed that 2 of them were my brewing presents, along with the package from my brother and his wife, and another undisclosed present from my wife.

IT really killed the xmas spirit for me. People can be such dicks.

sorry for the bah humbug, but it overshadowed what was otherwise a great xmas.

A corny keg and picnic tap system with 4lb co2 tank. Also from my mother in law!

Well its something that I am getting for myself, but I am getting a set up 15 gallon mash tun from Kurt at Badass Brew stands which I am pretty excited about. :rockin:

Chromados

Girlfriend got me a BCS 462, three temp probes to go with it and another Chugger pump! The electric conversion is underway!

Barley Crusher!!!! Only present I have asked for in 20 years. SWMBO rocks!

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

SWMBO and in-laws pitched in got me a 2-tap tower, perlicks, 5# CO2 tank, and kegs. I'm off work this week so my Sanyo will have a hole in the top in short order :D

62 qt stainless bayou classic w/crab basket to replace my keggle in the BIAB system. Cannot wait to get started on the renovation.

I got a Saf-t-cooker http://bbq.about.com/od/turkeyfryerreviews/gr/aapr101508a.htm from my mother in law. At first I was excited, then I actually looked at it and now I almost feel like I would have preferred getting a reindeer sweater. The pot is big, but doesn't exactly instill much confidence. Does anyone have any experience with this and allay any of my misgivings? She was very well meaning, and I don't want to hurt her feelings or anything. I'm determined to make at least one batch with this, but it is with great trepidation.

I don't want to beat on a dead horse or anything, but I feel like I should explain. The pot is aluminum, with a cheap spigot on the bottom, and the internal texture of the pot is rough, almost like cast iron. I scrubbed it with a copper scrubbie thing, and all I get is dark gross stuff that I don't know is actual dirt or a chemical reaction. Either way I don't want my beer touching it. I tried putting my 5 gallon pot in there but the handles prevent it from touching the surface by about three inches because they rest on the safety rail things. I think they might have to go. Anyway, if anyone has feedback I'd like to hear it.

I got another Banjo Burner and just bought myself a peristaltic pump for sparging and transferring. It turns out that lifting carboys can be bad for your back, so from now on I'll transfer the easy way. And sparge... And recirculate my cooling water.

I don't want to beat on a dead horse or anything, but I feel like I should explain. The pot is aluminum, with a cheap spigot on the bottom, and the internal texture of the pot is rough, almost like cast iron. I scrubbed it with a copper scrubbie thing, and all I get is dark gross stuff that I don't know is actual dirt or a chemical reaction. Either way I don't want my beer touching it. I tried putting my 5 gallon pot in there but the handles prevent it from touching the surface by about three inches because they rest on the safety rail things. I think they might have to go. Anyway, if anyone has feedback I'd like to hear it.

The black stuff you scrubbed off is probably aluminum oxide and you'll need to boil that kettle full of water to recreate the coating that you just scrubbed off to prevent your beer from tasting metallic. I think that I would have liked that pot better than the 30 qt one that I have as with the straight sides and lesser capacity of mine I have to watch more closely to avoid boiling it over. Before you complain about that kettle, make a couple of batches and then come back with any comments. I think you will like it.

The black stuff you scrubbed off is probably aluminum oxide and you'll need to boil that kettle full of water to recreate the coating that you just scrubbed off to prevent your beer from tasting metallic. I think that I would have liked that pot better than the 30 qt one that I have as with the straight sides and lesser capacity of mine I have to watch more closely to avoid boiling it over. Before you complain about that kettle, make a couple of batches and then come back with any comments. I think you will like it.

Everything he just said!

Nothing wrong with aluminum just have to treat it differently. If it fits in the oven like mine did you can create that coating that way as well.

I got a barley crusher. I was thinking we must have some really intuitive loved ones to know to get us Crushers, cam locks, pumps, pots, fittings, ETC..
LOL.

I got a barley crusher. I was thinking we must have some really intuitive loved ones to know to get us Crushers, cam locks, pumps, pots, fittings, ETC..
LOL.

I have that part figured out. I just go buy what I really want and then tell people what they got me hoping they will do the same for themselves. Why guess wrong and give a gift that the recipient hates only to get it back (and hate it too) the next Christmas?:rockin:

23qt pressure cooker so I can stop borrowing one every time I can wort or make slants

I got a co2 tank, a corney, a 2-dial regulator, hoses and fittings and a picinic tap. Now I just need a fridge.

Edit: I also got designing great beers, and a book on cooking with beer.

Back