What did you pay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjgiddings

Reaction score
I live in the Seattle area - VERY new to home brewing.

I'm interested in seeing the rise or decline in prices for what you paid for your extract brew ingredients. I'm thinking of 2000, or 2006 or 2010 prices.

Have they gone up? Have they declined ?

As I type this - my batch of ingredients was:

3 lbs of dry malt extract $ 13.95
Liquid malt extract 3.1 lbs for $ 11.95

Liquid yeast created on Jan 11 2010 $ 6.50 - enough to ferment 5 gallons...which is exactly what I have brewing right now.

Hops, 1 oz at $3.50 a bag of pelletized hops...regardless of % or the AAU units involved.

I remember a headline from two years ago where a hop farm burned to the ground in a bizzare fire. Hops have gone up and up in price since then.

What did you pay? Is there a trend here? I'm curious for your response.

:mug:

the wholesalers like midcountry malt sell to private citizens at a lot more reasonable price than any hbs can afford to. the catch is that you usually need to order by the full pallet(44bags) at a time which is why you'll see threads on here for bulk buys by area.

Thanks for the tip off. I've been buying grain from NCM for years, and had no idea they carried DME. Doh
Thanks again. tsans

The Beer Essentials, Lakewood, WA

DME 2lb bag $7.75
Hops 2.75/oz
They only carry White Labs and I think it was about $7/vial but a great selection of different strains.

Rocky Top Homebrew, Olympia, WA

DME $3.50/lb
Hops $2.50/oz
Yeast some White Labs, Some Wyeast and I think about $7 as well for them. They also have packages of Danstar Nottingham Dry for $2.75 I've been using more and more of. Much better value.

I don't have much to compare it to. Only been brewing since November.

DME 2lb bag $7.75
Hops 2.75/oz
They only carry White Labs and I think it was about $7/vial but a great selection of different strains.

6 lbs dme is 21.50
white labs is $7
Nottingham yeast $3
red star yeast $1.15
base grains $1.25 lbs
speacialty grains $1.75 lbs
other stuff is competative

6 lbs dme is 21.50
white labs is $7
Nottingham yeast $3
red star yeast $1.15
base grains $1.25 lbs
speacialty grains $1.75 lbs
other stuff is competative

I will have to remember that for next time, I only purchased 2lb bags of DME, so it's a little cheaper to buy more. Rocky Top is same price if you buy 1lb or 4lbs (that's what they have pre-packaged, never asked for larger quantities).

I didn't realize they had other yeast, probably didn't see it, but they don't carry Wyeast at all.

Also I should note, the store is HUGE with a great selection. I spent $173 there just recently on "stuff", nothing big. Once I get into grain, I'll probably get it from them because their grain selection is great.

Back