Storing a sixer for 5 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftyMcGee

Reaction score
I am saving a sixer of my first brew, a BB American Amber Ale, for 5 months. It has been sitting at around 80 degrees for 5 weeks. Unfortunately, I live in the desert and don't really want to turn my AC down any further. Should I let it sit at room temp for the rest of the 5 months or would it be better to store it in my frig?

After 21 days would it be better for me to move my bottles to the frig or give them more time at room temp?

Thanks to everyone here for the great advice! :mug:

Can anyone help me out on this? I have read some posts about people storing beer in their wine cellar, but I don't have that option. Just really wondering if 80 degrees or the refrigerator (after 21 days of conditioning) is the better option. Thanks!

Why do you have to store it for five months? To answer your question, the fridge would be better than 80 F.

I second the fridge. Only problem is if your like me you got 20 gallons sitting around and 10 more in kegs in the fridge. So I don't have anymore room.

I don't have to store for five months. I just want to see how a sixer will tastes 5 months down the line. The rest is almost gone.

Frig it is! Thanks! :ban:

I second the fridge. Only problem is if your like me you got 20 gallons sitting around and 10 more in kegs in the fridge. So I don't have anymore room.

This is a problem I wish I had! Just brewed my 4th batch yesterday, so I am still trying to build up a reserve.

I save a bottle from every batch to taste 6 months later....I just store them at room temp like I would be if I were bottle condition a beer...Except I have a small cupboard in the kitcen that I store them in (I live in a loft and have little space).

Just find the coolest, darkest place, in your home/apartment you can stash them in. If beer cases can fit under your bed, then that's an option....

if you can, store them close to an ac vent. You don't necessarily have to lower your ac to keep then cool.

I don't have to store for five months. I just want to see how a sixer will tastes 5 months down the line. The rest is almost gone.

Frig it is! Thanks! :ban:

This is something I always do as well, I've got ~6 bottles from every brew I've made thus far (except maybe the first apfelwein) "hidden" away in an inconvenient place in my basement (to deter me from getting then out).

nb

Back