Mario Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolakk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So there I was, staring at the plumbing and toilet parts in Lowe's contemplating how I was going to make a tap tower for my three tap keezer and then it hit me "those pipes look kinda familiar if I paint the black pipe green", I thought to myself. With that, an idea was born. As I played with the various ABS fittings, caps, and pipe like a boy with tinker toys with employees and fellow customers alike giving me looks like I should be in a padded cell I was able to pin down the design. Next stop was Toys R Us to find some figures to turn into tap handles, because you can't just have the Mario pipe with no Mario figures right? I'm actually trying to get a set of Wario, Waluigi, and Dry Bones as well with the Halloween season coming up so soon. The rest of the plan involves the rest of the keezer and some kind of underground scene for the bottom sides, as well as a brick top and clouds on the drip tray, but i'm still farming out that idea.

MarioTower.JPG

That. Is. Awesome. That makes me want to redo my keezer just so I can add that tower.

This has got to be the most awesome tap design I've seen yet. Being a fellow gamer, along with having grown up on the NES playing Mario from it's inception, this design takes the cake! or the princess!

You need to make one out of the piranha plant since they tend to live in the pipes. Heck if I had made that tower I would make one for each of the characters and have some associate. Like pbowser for something spicy, the piranha plant for an IPA...

But I like. Well done.

Thanks all! This hobby really is a labor of love, and with all the inspiration I have gotten for the hobby from this board it feels good to share for a change :mug:

Great job, what did you do for the drip tray. I will be copying your tower for my own. thanks

Great job, what did you do for the drip tray. I will be copying your tower for my own. thanks

The drip tray is a piece of plastic gutter with two end caps (like these), and the top is a soffit vent (like this one) with gorilla tape on the edges, mainly because the edges are sharp. I assume it's at least mildly waterproof, but even if not at $4 it's no big deal to replace periodically

so i don't know how to do this but you need to rig this to play the game sounds when you pour

Haha, I love it. I want Raccoon Mario though! Also, if you drink enough beers from the keezer, do you visit Star Road --- figuratively, of course.

I remember seeing some mario inspired tap handles on here that someone had made from wood that would be perfect for this keezer. Nice work, I dig it! Just be careful if kids are around, they'll definitely want to play.

so i don't know how to do this but you need to rig this to play the game sounds when you pour

This was an inspiration I had the other day actually. I already have flow meters hooked to a netduino to measure pour rates, so assuming I can get a speaker hooked to it, I could probably do it. Either that or look into porting the project over to my raspberry pi but I haven't had a lot of time to look into that. My thought was to have it play the "running out of time" music when you get to the last gallon or so

Truly inspired! Love the idea and the description. I have been "that guy" enough times to know the feeling as well.

How many coversations have you had at Lowes or HD that begin with:

Brewer: "So...I'm trying to find a 1/2" [insert widget here], but it needs to do x and y."

Employee: "Do you mind if I ask what you're trying to do?"

Brewer, sheepishly: "Umm, see I homebrew and I got this keg that I'm..." trails off into rambling and staring at the floor.

Employee: "Do you..uhh...make like Bud Light?"

This was an inspiration I had the other day actually. I already have flow meters hooked to a netduino to measure pour rates, so assuming I can get a speaker hooked to it, I could probably do it. Either that or look into porting the project over to my raspberry pi but I haven't had a lot of time to look into that. My thought was to have it play the "running out of time" music when you get to the last gallon or so

Dude, you could easily write a function to play a .midi file when flowrate exceeds some noise-elim threshold, but you would have to store it somewhere. I am an arduino person, so I don't know if RPi gives you any data storage capability.

How many coversations have you had at Lowes or HD that begin with:

Brewer: "So...I'm trying to find a 1/2" [insert widget here], but it needs to do x and y."

Employee: "Do you mind if I ask what you're trying to do?"

Brewer, sheepishly: "Umm, see I homebrew and I got this keg that I'm..." trails off into rambling and staring at the floor.

Employee: "Do you..uhh...make like Bud Light?"

usually I just get blank stares when I try to explain i'm using it for a completely unintended purpose. That's why I just say "i'm good" and find it myself... sometimes you get inspired in the process, especially when the thing you came in for only exists in your head and you have to fabricate an alternate which seems to happen all too often for me it seems

Dude, you could easily write a function to play a .midi file when flowrate exceeds some noise-elim threshold, but you would have to store it somewhere. I am an arduino person, so I don't know if RPi gives you any data storage capability.

Surprisingly I never thought about midi, that can make it a lot easier. Hopefully I can find a way to do it on the netduino so I don't have to abandon the work i've done so far, which more or less works. The RPi takes an SD and supports up to 32GB I believe so that's no issue and has speaker/video out which would make that part infinitely easier, it would just be a matter of figuring out how to port over the input from the flow meters which I haven't really looked into

Surprisingly I never thought about midi, that can make it a lot easier. Hopefully I can find a way to do it on the netduino so I don't have to abandon the work i've done so far, which more or less works. The RPi takes an SD and supports up to 32GB I believe so that's no issue and has speaker/video out which would make that part infinitely easier, it would just be a matter of figuring out how to port over the input from the flow meters which I haven't really looked into

If you do ever get to it, I look forward to seeing the results.

Latest posts

Back