Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tozebeach

Reaction score
I was wondering what effect cold crashing has on dry hopping. Should I wait till my dry hop period is over to cold crash? Should I remove the dry hops before cold crashing? Thanks for the help.

What I do is dry hop for about 10 days (in primary), cold crash at 32 for 24 hours, add gelatin, leave another 5 or 6 days at 32. The hop debris will fall to the bottom and compact. This gets me crystal clear beer.

Breweries typically drop the temp down to 60 for dry hopping for a period of 5 or so days, then cold crash at 40 to help drop the yeast out of suspension (Ales of course). You can keep the hops in while cold crashing, but I personally like to remove them because they can "catch" some yeast and other settlement on the way down. Its an extra step, and not necessarily a "have to" thing to do. All person preference and equipment capabilities. The longer the hops are in the tank, the more flavor to a certain point.

Spiny has a good method

Back