How long does ground grain last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I had some two-row ground for me about 2 1/2 weeks ago, that I used for 2 different batches. I have about 5 lbs still sitting in the bag, from the 20lb batch they ground for me. How long do you think this will stay good?

It depends. If it's in the freezer in a vacuum sealed bag, it will last a long long time. If it's in a paper bag in the 75 degree living room, it'll last a far less amount of time.

It's sort of like bread. It doesn't really "go bad" all that fast, but it might stale. Taste the grain. If it tastes fresh, it's good. If it has a stale bread taste, they're no good.

I've kept crushed grain, vacuum sealed, in a cool spot for 3 months with no loss of quality.

It depends. If it's in the freezer in a vacuum sealed bag, it will last a long long time. If it's in a paper bag in the 75 degree living room, it'll last a far less amount of time.

It's sort of like bread. It doesn't really "go bad" all that fast, but it might stale. Taste the grain. If it tastes fresh, it's good. If it has a stale bread taste, they're no good.

I've kept crushed grain, vacuum sealed, in a cool spot for 3 months with no loss of quality.

I just tried a handful of it, but it's 2-row, so now sure how much taste is there :) It tasted ok. Currently it's in a grain bag, do you think I should move this to gallon ziplock bags, and put it in the fridge or freezer? Or is it too late for that already?

I just tried a handful of it, but it's 2-row, so now sure how much taste is there :) It tasted ok. Currently it's in a grain bag, do you think I should move this to gallon ziplock bags, and put it in the fridge or freezer? Or is it too late for that already?

You can do that, if you're not going to be using it for a while. Squeeze out as much air as you can. It should be just fine.

You can do that, if you're not going to be using it for a while. Squeeze out as much air as you can. It should be just fine.

I have an experimental beer I'm going to brew with it. Just not sure when I'm doing it, probably this week, just not sure what day yet.

Back