Help! Corks are gonna pop out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukabrazi

Reaction score
I bottled some wine last night that I made from jelly. Today about half of the corks are half way out. It looks like they are slowly working there way out. What should I do?

It wouldn't be the first time I cleaned wine off the ceiling... I put all the bottles in a plastic storage bin so they can blow in peace.

Yes I think I can manage that. I inherited a kegerator Saturday from a friend who's moving to California. How long do I need to refrigerate them?

So will refrigerating them kill the yeast or just slow it down? At some point can I take them out or do they need to stay in there now?

keeping them cold will just put the yeast to sleep. If the bottles warm up again, you'll have the same problem.

btw, and at the risk of sounding condescending, try making wine out of something other than jelly. For the same amount of work, you can enjoy a decent wine.

Did you de-gas the wine before bottling?

This is what I was thinking. I don't know much about winemaking, so I kept my mouth shut, but the lady in the office next door makes wine and she has mentioned degassing.

You should be able to uncork and degas. Might be a good thing to double-check the gravity too.

They make bottles that accept corks with cages to keep the corks in place under pressure. If you use those, you could make a sparkling wine! :tank:

That is probably where I messed up. I did degass after I racked the first time but not again after that. So if that is what I need to do to fix this do I need to dump it out and pour it back into a bottling bucket, degass, and then rebottle?

no, pouring now will oxidize as well as degass...

you could uncork and then recork and hope they hold. use a half size larger cork for added snugness.

Thanks for the advice. How will long term storage in the fridge affect the aging process? That pump might do the trick. Ever see it in any retail stores where I might pick it up?

Around here, you can get those wine saver pumps at just about any grocery store, or any beer and wine store. The thing is, they are usually hanging on those merchandise strips in the middle of random aisles, so they can be tricky to hunt down.

I will look at Wegmans and if they don't have it I will check Bed Bath and Beyond. I'm glad I only have 25 or so bottles to work on.

I had a similar problem. I store my wine in a wine rack above my washer/dryer... at 1am one of the corks shot out and LAUNCHED the bottle out of the laundry room and across the kitchen... the ENTIRE area was coated in a fine mist of sticky fun... I was cleaning until 3am

Here's the picture I took of the adventure...

37361_715821027064_30305606_38640110_1157710_n.jpg

37361_715821022074_30305606_38640109_2454026_n.jpg

Back