Splitting primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klyph

Reaction score
I bought the wife a 6 gallon wine kit, and it says I need an 8 gallon fermentor for primary. I have several 5 gallon glass carboys, could I just split all the ingredients in half and divide it into two carboys, then mix them when the volume is low enough for my 6.5 gallon carboy, or will that cause problems?

Also, the kit was stored at the LHBS for a long time at room temp. and I haven't refrigerated the yeast pack either. Should I buy a new pack of yeast, or will this one be alright?

I spent $100+ on this and don't want to screw it up. Thanks.

What kind of primary bucket did you get? They usually include a 7.9 gal with the kits.

The yeast should be fine.

Look at the date on the yeast. If it's not expired, it'll be fine.

If you have a 6.5 gallon carboy, that's big enough for primary. Usually, we use buckets, though, because you're adding stuff or stirring the wine. If it's just a regular kit, you should be fine with a primary in the 6.5 gallon carboy, and then secondary in a 6 gallon carboy.

Hmm, I seem to remember the original volume being more than 6.5 gallons, since you're supposed to rack it off the sediment losing volume each time until you end up with 6 gallons at the end. I've never done this before, so you may be right and the 6.5 gallon might work.

And the kit was just ingredients, no equipment.

Hmm, I seem to remember the original volume being more than 6.5 gallons, since you're supposed to rack it off the sediment losing volume each time until you end up with 6 gallons at the end. I've never done this before, so you may be right and the 6.5 gallon might work.

And the kit was just ingredients, no equipment.

No, in the kit you'll never have more than 6 gallons. In fact, when you degas, you will have a little bit less than 6 gallons because you don't top up until after the degassing step. That's when you top up to 6 gallons (about an inch below the bung to prevent oxidation) in the 6 gallon carboy.

that's a nice kit! They have good instructions, so if you follow them as instructed (with the degassing, adding the #1, #2 packs at the right time, and topping up according to the directions), you'll be fine.

Wine doesn't krausen much like beer, so you should be ok in a 6.5 gallon carboy for primary, but you'll need a 6 gallon carboy for secondary.

Back