Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpmorgan

Reaction score
My friends gave me some glass screw top vodka bottles to bottle my cider. Are those sufficient or are there any issues I should be aware of using them? Thanks.

If you plan to carbonate or there is any chance the cider will continue to carbonate after bottling, don't use them. The bottles are not designed to hold pressure.

Thanks. I'm pretty new to this so I'm not sure how carbonating works but if I stabilize the finished product I was given the impression by a local winery that I could use that type of bottle. It's all a learning process for me at this point. Has anyone had success with used screw tops at all? I'm kinda strapped to buy a cork press. I just racked my secondary at 1.034 so I go some time to figure it out.

If you successfully halt fermentation then screw tops will be fine.

FYI, a cork press won't fix this issue either as corks and bottles designed to take corks are also for uncarbonated products. Most folks use standard crowns and beer/champagne bottles when making a sparkling beverage.

Back