Pellet Hop Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurnX

Reaction score
I plan on doing a couple small 2.5gal BIAB batches in the coming week. The recipe I am working with calls for 0.5oz or so of hops, which will leave me with 0.5oz left over if I buy the 1oz bags. What would be the best method of storing the remaining pellet hops for 2 to 4 weeks?

I would wrap them back up (maybe in a Ziploc bag) and freeze them. I would think they would be fine for only a few weeks.

put them in a ziploc bag and suck as much air out as u can, then toss them in the freezer. they will last a long while

however, since its only 0.5oz, I'd probably just find a way to fit it in if you don't plan on using it anytime soon

I've had hop pellets in the freezer for almost a year before and they still made good beer. Just like anything in the freezer, wrap them well and get the air out and they'll store just fine.

A few weeks really isn't going to matter too much. The best way to store them is as cold as you can get them (Freezer) in a air-less air-tight container. Some hops hold up much better over time than others. See my sig for a calculator to see the different affects.

Edit: For whatever reason, I don't see my sig so here: http://brewerslog.appspot.com/HopAlphaCalc

Ditto on freezing. About once a year, I dig out all of the partial packets and brew a batch. My record is seven different hops.

Back