the chemistry behind acidity and sugar content of fruit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReDim

Reaction score
I have not yet brewed a mead, and so I am trying to do research (hey better make a fool of myself on the Internet then with my drink :)

Any-way, I have found some interesting numbers on-line, and I am sure those are important, just can't completely figure out how important:

http://www.solorb.com/mead/fruitsugar.txt

Trying to figure out what is so important about acidity of fruit that is relevant to our process ?

Also, Banana seems to have close stats to grape, does it mean that I should be seeing more banana wine in the store?

Thank you :)

I have not yet brewed a mead, and so I am trying to do research (hey better make a fool of myself on the Internet then with my drink :)

Any-way, I have found some interesting numbers on-line, and I am sure those are important, just can't completely figure out how important:

http://www.solorb.com/mead/fruitsugar.txt

Trying to figure out what is so important about acidity of fruit that is relevant to our process ?

Also, Banana seems to have close stats to grape, does it mean that I should be seeing more banana wine in the store?

Thank you :)
Well that helps some, but it's also about which of the fruit acids, each fruit actually contains, because that affects the flavour so much i.e. lemons, limes etc are "citric" fruit, whereas grapes are "tartaric" fruit and apples are "malic" fruit.

Personally I don't appreciate citric fruit so much in booze. If I need to add some acid to a batch (in my case it's more likely to be a traditional recipe), then I've learned that the mix suggested by Ashton & Duncan in their, now, out of print book "Making Mead" - which is 2 parts malic to 1 part tartaric. It seems to help the honey flavour no end........

Bananas are added to country wines to help build body. They impart very little if no taste so they don't affect the wine flavor much.

Back