Bread Floaters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadWitch

Reaction score
Moved my Prickly Pear Mead into the kitchen tonight in anticipation of reracking it tomorrow afternoon. I sloshed it a bit from one room to the next and the next thing I know I have what looks like big chunks of bread floating to the top of my mead. This is the first time in 10+ years this has ever happened to me. Granted it is my first time making prickly pear mead, so this could be normal (or not). Here are some pics:

Prickly Pear Mead_001.jpg

Prickly Pear Mead_002.jpg

Prickly Pear Mead_003.jpg

Prickly Pear Mead_004.jpg

Look normal right?

If I just saw those big globs floating on the surface, I'd think you have a mycoderma contamination. However, if those are chunks of fruit that were sitting on the bottom and got stirred up by moving then there is probably nothing to worry about and you can let it settle/clear, than rack as desired.

I would suggest that you not keep that much headspace in your storage containers as it is an open invitation to spoilage organisms.

Medsen

Thanks Medsen for the comment. I might have panicked a bit too soon. Got up this morning and the chunks had settled back down on the bottom of the carboy. The mead is very clear and you can read the proverbage newspaper thru it. I think the chucks are yeast & prickly pear pulp that have adhered togother and just settled. The mead smells slightly yeasty and sweet at the same time, which is a good thing.

I knew that someone was going to comment on the headspace and was going to type the following but at 1:30 am I was just to tired, so here it goes: that much headspace has only been there for 3 weeks, been waiting for another gallon jug to come open. I usually do not leave that much head space but when that is the only carboy you have that is empty, it will have to suffice for the time being. Will be reracking this today, as well as the jalapeno peach mead, then bottling some Vanilla JAOM.

Thanks again for the comment!

Back