Besides fermenting things, what are your other hobbies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoHox

Compulsive Hand Washer
Reaction score
What are your non-beer related hobbies? Watching sports doesnt count.

Outside of employment and beer making, I spend a lot of time on my road bike. And I guess I use that as justification for the quantitiy of beer I consume.

I also keep planted fish tanks. I like the aspect of a mini-ecosystem, fish poop into plant food. I will edit this post to add some pictures.

I have kept freshwater and brackish tanks, haven't made the jump to saltwater yet. My planted tanks require such little maintenance (once properly cycled), I can't be bothered with the more complex tanks.

I know there are other threads, but its a different year and there are always new people. What else do you do?

20131011_145929.jpg

Unfortunately, I have to include aquariums in my hobbies. It is so time consuming, I don't have enough time to brew!

Unfortunately, I have to include aquariums in my hobbies. It is so time consuming, I don't have enough time to brew!

I hear ya. I got home from school/work yesterday after 12 hours on campus, to realize I needed to do a water change x3. :smack:

Fixing the house. It ain't a hobby, it just needs to be done constantly. The previous owners made improvements that were, ah, creative.

Eventually I will get out on the recumbent trike. A go-cart for adults. Yee-ha!

Fixing the house. It ain't a hobby, it just needs to be done constantly. The previous owners made improvements that were, ah, creative.

Eventually I will get out on the recumbent trike. A go-cart for adults. Yee-ha!

I have been helping a buddy with a house that was also "improved" by the previous owner. We plan a project, start demolition, and find 3 more projects that must be completed before we can even resume the original. That can be really unmotivating work sometimes.

I've been slacking it big time this year, but I'm also a road bike guy. Great way to burn off the beer and smoked meat calories! Here's my favorite toy when I brought her home from the shop. That was many thousands of miles ago.

image-1415303775.jpg

Gardening, camping, mountain biking and keeping track of all my kid's activities like band and travel soccer, it's a wonder I actually find as much time as I do to brew:)

I play guitar and bass and, when its warm, do a lot of swimming.

I spend a lot of time outside. I hunt, fish, camp, hike, kayak, boat, etc. I love my pontoon boat, and use it often.

I make soap and wine. I have a fish pond and I'm always messing around with it spring through fall (the fish come inside in the winter). We have a nice garden, and pick a lot of wild fruits as well. I do a lot of food processing- canning, freezing, cutting up venison, etc. It's not really a "hobby" but it's something I'm always busy doing!

I have a couple acres outside of town with an old barn. We got the rental house all renovated but now the barn is a major work-in-progress. If all goes according to plan we'll be living out there next year and the barn will eventually become a hops drying barn. (Yup, I've got plans for some of that great California farm land!)

Had to sell my old Bob Jackson road bike and my motorcycle because my sense of balance is about shot. But I can still sit on a tractor seat and I can push a golf cart.

So the short answer ... woodworking, farming, birding and golf

IMG_2897.jpg

2010 11 20 laundry.jpg

I cook and bake a lot, can and pickle stuff. I'm a big bike dork (gave up the car about nine years ago and never looked back), touring, road , mountain, and general transportation. I collect vintage bikes and parts. Also play ukulele and bass, both quite poorly. And I'm an avid but somewhat hopeless gardener and permaculturist. And in the winter, I do some metalworking and dream of more enjoyable bike riding.

Puddlethumper said:
I have a couple acres outside of town with an old barn. We got the rental house all renovated but now the barn is a major work-in-progress. If all goes according to plan we'll be living out there next year and the barn will eventually become a hops drying barn. (Yup, I've got plans for some of that great California farm land!)

Had to sell my old Bob Jackson road bike and my motorcycle because my sense of balance is about shot. But I can still sit on a tractor seat and push a golf cart.

So the short answer ... building repairs, farming and golf

So cool

I collect beer cans. I have 5 dirtbikes and a Harley Davidson. 55 gallon guppy tank, 110 gallon reef tank and a koi pond. 60s muscle cars. Drag racing (spectator). Punching holes in paper.

SHBSJon said:
I collect beer cans. I have 5 dirtbikes and a Harley Davidson. 55 gallon guppy tank, 110 gallon reef tank and a koi pond. 60s muscle cars. Drag racing (spectator). Punching holes in paper.

What do you have for cars?

Puddlethumper said:
Thanks! I'm in the process of selling my business so I can retire. Really looking forward to being able to just farm and work on the place instead of dealing with the pressure of the phones, customers, employees, government, etc.

I hear that!

I spend a lot of time outside. I hunt, fish, camp, hike, kayak, boat, etc. I love my pontoon boat, and use it often.

I make soap and wine. I have a fish pond and I'm always messing around with it spring through fall (the fish come inside in the winter). We have a nice garden, and pick a lot of wild fruits as well. I do a lot of food processing- canning, freezing, cutting up venison, etc. It's not really a "hobby" but it's something I'm always busy doing!

This sounds fantastic. Have you visited Colorado? You'd fit right in!

My Dad and I rebuilt his '67 Mustang 289. Original color was sea foam green, and it is so fun to drive. He may be buried in that car.

Any pics of your reef tank?

1966 Mercury Montclair. Blue w/white roof. 410 4v engine. Currently has the original automatic, but I have a date correct 4 speed to install as a winter project. Reef tank is a green mess at the moment. Punched holes are .223, 9mm, .357, .44 and and lots of little tiny specks of #8 from a 16ga.

merc side jpg.jpg

1966 Mercury Montclair. Blue w/white roof. 410 4v engine. Currently has the original automatic, but I have a date correct 4 speed to install as a winter project. Reef tank is a green mess at the moment. Punched holes are .223, 9mm, .357, .44 and and lots of little tiny specks of #8 from a 16ga.

Cool car!

I have a 1955 Ford 640 but yours would run circles around it!
(But mine will pull stumps 'til the cows come home) :)

Got a stack of straw bales in back of the barn with yardages set up at 10 yd intervals to 80 yds for the bow. Whenever I can get out of town I like to poke .357 and .22 holes in stuff.

I play music when I can. I have an 8 piece pearl and a little kid set for my kids. I also play guitar and some bass. My daughter loves percussion as a much as I do.

ForumRunner_20131011_201426.jpg

SHBSJon said:

What kind of reef do you have? Stonies? Softies?? I had an in-wall 120 for several years but got out of it a couple years ago. It was mostly sps but got tired of keeping it up and stressing over it.

ColoHox said:
My Dad and I rebuilt his '67 Mustang 289. Original color was sea foam green, and it is so fun to drive. He may be buried in that car. Any pics of your reef tank?

I'm partial to '67's... Chevelles and Mustang fastbacks!

Cool car!

Got a stack of straw bales in back of the barn with yardages set up at 10 yd intervals to 80 yds for the bow. Whenever I can get out of town I like to poke .357 and .22 holes in stuff.

I had to google ford 640 as I thought I knew all models of Ford cars. BUT IT'S NOT A CAR. I admire those who can shoot a bow. I have tried years ago. It's just like bowling or golf for me. I think it's fun, but I am REALLY baaaaad at it.

What kind of reef do you have? Stonies? Softies?? I had an in-wall 120 for several years but got out of it a couple years ago. It was mostly sps but got tired of keeping it up and stressing over it.

Just about all softies. Easy to keep stuff as it seem seems llike my aquarium is death row for everything in it except algae. Man, I can grow algae like nobodys business. I think maybe I have too many things going on to learn about it and keep it up. Plus it's the busy season in my line of work. I am neglecting some things I'm sure.

For me, it's billiards(mostly 8 ball) and simulation motor racing (spinal issues keep me off the track at speed).

I had to google ford 640 as I thought I knew all models of Ford cars. BUT IT'S NOT A CAR. I admire those who can shoot a bow. I have tried years ago. It's just like bowling or golf for me. I think it's fun, but I am REALLY baaaaad at it.

My old Ford is the original Ugly Betty but she runs good. It's like working on Tinker Toys when it needs attention. Simple, easy mechanics.

IMHO shooting a bow is way easy compared to golf. Granted, there is some "feel" to it and it takes a lot of practice to be really good. But with my .22 from 100 yds I can shoot a 3"-5" group without much problem (open sights). A bow? Maybe a 12" group. (I'm not very good). My pitching wedge? Try a 15 yard group and I'm thrilled! And the damned ball's just sitting there! It's not even moving when you try to hit it!

SHBSJon said:

Sweet. I've got a 68 coupe deVille.

Puddlethumper said:
Cool car!

Sounds like fun

Back