Dry Hopping With Pellets-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpack

Reaction score
Advice requested-

I traditionally dry ho with whole/leaf hops. My LHBS is out of the hop I am wanting to dry hop with.

I usually dry hop and secondary in a muslin bag in my keg prior to cold crashing.

Can I dry hop with pellets in the keg?

Will I have a clogged pickup?

Any suggestions?

I could secondary in a carboy if I had to, but I would prefer not racking twice.

Many thanks for the advice.

I have used the stainless tea balls many times to dry hop in the keg with pellet hops. You'll get some hop particles but it works. I use pellets almost exclusively and I usually dry hop in a secondary to keep the bits out of my kegged beer though.

I just toss the pellets right in the primary. I pay attention while racking, and tend to hold the bottom of the racking cane in the middle of the beer rather than just sticking it on the bottom.

I've only done this a few times, but it has worked fine each time, and the beer ended up reasonably clear.

I second Hammy. Tea balls in the keg. I got them at bed bath and beyond. The have a latch that ensures the ball won't open. I just used two of them to dry hop 3oz in hop slam clone. It was just right with 1.5 in each one left enough room for expansion. When I fished them out they were perfect balls of hops. I will update with pics in a few minutes

ForumRunner_20130203_220356.jpg

20130203_215849.jpg

I second Hammy. Tea balls in the keg. I got them at bed bath and beyond. The have a latch that ensures the ball won't open. I just used two of them to dry hop 3oz in hop slam clone. It was just right with 1.5 in each one left enough room for expansion. When I fished them out they were perfect balls of hops. I will update with pics in a few minutes

Do you think you got enough surface area contact? Were you happy with the results?

Do you think you got enough surface area contact? Were you happy with the results?

Worked just fine. You have to figure the tea ball will fall to the bottom of the keg next to the pickup tube. All your beer will pass through it or past it on the way to your glass.

Toss pellet dryhops directly into your beer. No reason to ever bag them. The bulging bag will difficult to remove from your carboy neck and probably tear in the process. Pellet hops (unlike leaf hops) will sink and settle on the bottom of your carboy in about 7-10 days.

5 gallon capacity nylon paint strainer bags can be found at Home Depot. Wrap one around your autosiphon and secure. Siphon carefully.

2AJT3_AS01.jpg

WP_000016.jpg

Many thanks-

It appears I will have try both.

I think I will rack on top of the pellets first as I the beer coming will be fairly big and could use a little more time (read, can't waist keg space on beer I ain't drinking").

I appreciate the input.

Back