Winter Solstice Recipe Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for a brew that I'm going to make on the solstice, during the full moon. It'll be my first AG high-gravity beer, and would appreciate any input from people who've done anything similiar.
I'm loosely basing the recipe off of a few Old Ale recipes, with the obvious addition of Winter Ale spicing.
My plan is to rack it to the secondary for about six months, and then bottle condition it until the next Winter Solstice...when I just may do it all over again.

Ok, here's the recipe:

14 lbs M.O.
1 lb Bisquit
1 lb Munich/Dk. Munich/Vienna (I haven't decided which one yet)
1 lb Flaked Oats
4 oz Extra Special or Special B (Again, haven't decided, but leaning towards the Sp. B)
2 oz. Carafa I (I WAS going to use Chocolate Malt, but at the advice of the professional Brewmaster that helps our club, I switched)

1.5 oz Mt. Ranier (7% AA) (60 min)
1 oz Celia (4.5% AA)(15)
.5 oz each- Mt. Ranier & Celia (Flame out)

1 tbsp fresh Ginger root
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 oz Sw. Orange Peel
2 Cinnamon Stick
1 lb Orange Blossom Honey...all in the final 5-15 min.

2 Vanilla beans- 1 month secondary

Wyeast Old Ale Blend (9097)

According to Beer Smith, I'm looking at an ABV of 10%, an IBU of 35.8, and an SRM of 15.8.

Oh, and I'm also considering trying a three hour boil.

Looks perfect, I wouldn't change anything except I only use one variety of hops in my strong ales, but that's just preference. I don't usually mix hops except in Pale Ale or IPA's.

What are Celia hops? I've never heard of them.

Congrats on 3000 posts, btw.

Looks perfect, I wouldn't change anything except I only use one variety of hops in my strong ales, but that's just preference. I don't usually mix hops except in Pale Ale or IPA's.

What are Celia hops? I've never heard of them.
Congrats on 3000 posts, btw.

I can't remember where I got this info, but what I have says:

Low Alpha hop, typical for a Lager, Pilsner, Belgian Ale. Similiar to Saaz and Styr. Golding.

I haven't tried them yet, but I got the Celia, Mt. Ranier, and three others at an AHA rally at Goose Island over the summer, where they were giving them all away.

Wow. I didn't notice my post count. Thanks.

Back