Better Bottle Cap from Water Cooler Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Anybody ever use these on their better bottles?

I've had a 5 gallon glass carboy for a while and then bought a 6 gallon better bottle. The orange cap that I have for the 5 gallon is a biatch to get on the better bottle. I thought they would have been the same fit?

Anyway, I got a couple of these caps off of the 5 gallon water bottles from here at work and wondered if any of you had used them?

They seem like a pretty good tight fit, BUT I was wondering about the "foam" stuff that's used to seal it on the inside?

Any thoughts?

cap.jpg

cap2.jpg

The ones I snagged from work last year don't have the center hole/plug but are just solid. Also, the seal isn't a foam disc, it's a ring of silicone.

You can jam a piece of tubing into that hole as long as it's a real tight fit. I'd remove the gasket material. I doubt it can be sanitized well.

Thanks Bobby... I pulled out the foam and the insert from the center. I was afraid the foam would make the fit not as tight but it seems like a good snug fit and the hole actually is perfect for my 1/2" silicon tubing!

Back