Primary/Secondary/Bottling schedule for RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad97z

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just brewed my first kit about a week ago, a brewers best RIS, the O.G. was approximatly 1.074. For some of the more heavy beers, i've seen that some kits recommend 6-12 months before drinking. The things that i was curious about were:

Is there's any benefit to leaving the beer in the primary once final gravity has stabilized?

Is there any benefit to leaving the beer in the secondary for several months as opposed to, say, leaving it in the secondary for a month and the bottling, leaving it in the bottles for another couple months?

My plans were to leave the beer in the primary for two weeks (assuming that the FG has stabilized), rack to secondary for another 1-1/2 - 2 months and then bottle and let it mature for a while longer. Does anybody have any thoughts on this timeline? I was also curious, when pitching yeast right before bottling to ensure carbonation, does the yeast have to be the same as the one you brewed with? Sorry for multitude of question, there's so many things to learn.

no there is no benefit to leaving your beer in the primary. in fact as the yeast die they explode releasing a bunch of byproducts can give your beer some off flavors (not necessarily bad flavors).

if you leave the beer in the secondary you will get a more consistent finished beer. if you bottle each bottle will have a slightly different environment in it. this could cause some variation in the final beer (again not necessarily bad differences)

no it doesn't but again it may change the finished beer. i would use the same kind of yeast. you may just need to add some priming sugar to the beer before bottleing to carbonate. don't know if there will still be enough yeast after that long of a wait to properly carbonate your beer.

Your schedule is fine. I use a neutral yeast for priming big beers - US-05 or Nottingham, usually. That yeast only eats the priming sugar to produce CO2 for carbonation, so you could probably use anything.

Back