Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've got a bag of NZ Hallertau hop pellets with an AA of 6.6%. I plan to dry hop with them in the primary fermenter, should I just dump them in the fermenter AIWI, or do I need a hop bag? I'm fermenting a brown ale, how much should I use?

I've done both and came out fine either way. You could toss in an ounce or 2, but depends on if you want it to style or for what you like. :D I dry hop almost everything. :D

I prefer the hop bag so I have less trouble getting my beer to clear up, and an easier time when I rack it to the bottling bucket. I've done both ways, though so it's really more of a personal preference.

Personal preference, just make sure you boil the hop bag or sanitize some other way if thats the way you. I always just chuck them in

Has anyone ever dry hopped with whole hops? My hops garden has filled the freezer and I'd like to throw them into everything. I'm wondering about sanitation since they are probably covered by wild spores, pollen and bug poop.

Back