Tron Legacy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man I'm so pissed it's not going to be released until 2011. BAD Disney BAD. I just recently watched Tron again and I'm glad it still has the same look and feel, but the graphics seem updated and more powerful. You know, like in the real world.

I can't imagine that this will be any good. Original TRON was absolutely awful and we wouldn't have liked it at all except that it was somewhat related to video games which were new and exciting at the time.

My dad's 15 minutes of fame were back in 1982 when he was the first guy on the planet to announce that TRON sucked. True story. Disney's stock promptly dropped 2 1/2 points and he got his picture in Time Magazine.

Roger Ebert wrote a whole article bitching about it because he thought the movie had some merit and that my dad wasn't a real film reviewer. My dad was an entertainment industry financial analyst and attended the first preview screening for industry folks - before the east coast film reviewers could see it. At the time Disney was claiming that Tron was going to be HUGE - like Star Wars and Close Encounters combined. Disney entertainment was in trouble because they were stuck in a rut of making Dumbo like movies and kids were getting too hip to like that stuff any more. Tron was going to be a major blockbuster and show the world that Disney could hang with the 80's. Disney stock was so hyped up that it was trading at then-unheard of P/E multiples for a movie studio.

So my dad saw it, said that it was a disjointed, confusing story and that the other analysts were talking and coughing and that no one thought it was that spectacular. His writeup got published in the Wall Street Journal the next morning, beating all the movie reviewers to the punch and Disney got slammed on Wall Street.

Funny stuff.

Small fact - Tron only contained about 15-20 minutes of computer animation - everything else was with actors filmed on an all-black set. Back lit animation was then painstakingly added to each frame by hand (multiple times for each frame). The differing qualities and ages of the film used made for that flickering effect of the lighting. The production effort was so disjointed, that the animators couldn't keep their colors straight from scene to scene.

ha thats kick ass , your dad is a non shîtter.

i thoe i will most likely go see the new one if it takes like 6 years to make it should be atlease kinda good

I remember receiving a tron board game in the second grade gift exchange in grade school when we actually could cellabrate Christmas in school!!!

I can't imagine that this will be any good. Original TRON was absolutely awful and we wouldn't have liked it at all except that it was somewhat related to video games which were new and exciting at the time.

In 1982 it was fantastic. I was one of the few people in the theater that was laughing since I was a computer geek back then. Most of the double entendres went over everyone's head.

<geek>I love TRON. I've seen it dozens of times. I own two copies of the DVD - one a special edition signed by Cindy Morgan, and Tron and the Deadly Discs was my all-time favorite game for the Intellivision. It's why I wrote an entire Inty emulator :)</geek>

That said, at least I'm not this guy.

TronGuyWallpaper800x600.jpg

-Joe

Small fact - Tron only contained about 15-20 minutes of computer animation - everything else was with actors filmed on an all-black set. Back lit animation was then painstakingly added to each frame by hand (multiple times for each frame). The differing qualities and ages of the film used made for that flickering effect of the lighting. The production effort was so disjointed, that the animators couldn't keep their colors straight from scene to scene.
More useless trivia: the Inteliivison game "Tron and the Deadly Discs" was actually produced before the movie was released. The game art was created based on the storyboards, which is why the game takes place on the light cycle grid, even though it's a disc battle.

-Joe

<geek>I love TRON. I've seen it dozens of times. I own two copies of the DVD - one a special edition signed by Cindy Morgan, and Tron and the Deadly Discs was my all-time favorite game for the Intellivision. It's why I wrote an entire Inty emulator :)</geek

-Joe

Tron kicked a$$. My parents still have our Intellivison and Deadly discs was one of my favorites!

I still have Tron on VHS and have come close to picking it up in DvD several times, but never pulled the trigger.

I thought I liked it a lot, but after watching it again recently, I noticed that it moved a bit slower than I remembered. But still it's a kick ass movie about a particular time in computer history. Can't wait for the remake!

Back