Stout faucet differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krlang

Reaction score
I am looking for a stout faucet. I see at least two available, one has a metal tip, one has a plastic tip. Here are descriptions:

metal tip:
Traditional English pub Stout faucets for use with lower carbonated Ales and Stouts. Detachable spout with restrictor disc and flow straightened. This is the faucet you would use with a Nitrogen/co2 gas mixture in a Guinness style set up. Chrome plated body with stainless steel spout.

black plastic tip:
This all stainless steel stout restrictor faucet is designed specifically for pouring stouts and achieving the classic creamy head.

Does anybody know the different between them? The Metal tipped one is less expensive by a decent amount. I've looked through old posts, but I can't seem to find anything about this specifically.

--Robin

Have to see the site, but I would go with the metal tip, hands down.

Are you going to be using beer gas or just CO2? Because that my be the difference- I'm guessing the metal tip will probably only give you that real creamy rich head (even with restrictor plate) if you use beer gas, while the plastic one has the restrictor plate near the nozzle to produce the head using just CO2.

Linkage?

I don't know about the one on austinhomebrew, but both of the other two (micromatic by following link) state that you need beer gas- 75% Nitrogen / 25% CO2. Unless you tend on doing a lot of stouts, or spending an outrageous amount on a keg of Guinness, you can still get a decent head with regular faucets.

That said, any of these would work fine with beer gas. If you don't use them a lot, you may need to disassemble them on occasion to clean the so called 'burst disc' (they tend to acquire sticky beer deposits).

Latest posts

Back