How to tell difference between stainless and chrome Perlick forward sealing faucets in a photo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield43

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell the difference between chrome plated and stainless steel Perlick forward sealing faucets in a photo?
Are they marked stainless?
Is there a model number on the out side?
They are attached to a tower so I can't see in them.
I doubt the seller has a faucet wrench so I don't think I can get a pic of the inside of one of them.
Thanks for any tips.

There appears to be a patent and lot # stamped on the underside of the faucet between the spout and the tongue-thing. You could try and ask Perlick if they can identify whether it is stainless or chrome-plated based on the lot number, or post the lot number here and see if anyone can confirm with their faucets.

304SS is not magnetic when first cast, but if it has been cold-worked, e.g. cut, shaped, machined etc, it can become magnetic. If the chrome-plated ones are brass inside, having a magnet stick even a little bit might be an indication. No guarantees though.

I assume chrome plated brass is non magnetic as well.
I know bullet brass is nonmagnetic, otherwise range clean up would be MUCH easier.
Thanks for the suggestions!
I wasn't sure there were any markings on the outside other than "P".

Look inside the faucet, like around the coupler end.
The interior plating is the first to go, and when it has flaked off sufficiently the base brass will be exposed...

Cheers!

brass faucets have been around forever. pretty sure my intertap and perlick clones are chrome plated brass. I don't lose much sleep over it.

as far as telling the difference...I would think they are both non-magnetic. Stainless I would imagine is likely brushed or matte and not shiny.

I have a Perlick SS faucet and it is shiny as all get out. Looks like chrome.
Only numbers I have been able to get were patent numbers.
There are 500 series Perlicks.
I have been trying to get a pic of the inside of the faucet but no luck so far.

Back