Bad LHBS experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeldrummerj

Reaction score
I went to a new store today because the one I've been buying from is seriously overpriced. I had heard about the owner being a very knowledgeable brewer, so I drove a little further to try out this store.
I've brewed 7 batches on my own, and a good 15-20 with a friend, so while I'm not an expert, I know a fair amount. Before ordering ingredients, we had a short discussion on my brewing experience. I had a recipe for a chocolate stout in my hand, and when asking for ingredients, he questioned almost every single one. Now, I'm all for feedback, but he was questioning every choice more than once. I almost had so say, "Look. Just get me what I'm asking for. I know what I'm doing." He kept telling me I was making the wrong decision with everything. I wanted 8oz more Crystal 60l than he used in his kit, and he said it would be WAY too much. "You'll have too much caramel flavor." Maybe I WANT a little more of that flavor? He straight up told me I couldn't use peated malt in a different beer because "even an ounce in 5 gallons will be undrinkable. No one will ever drink that beer."

Just had to get that off my chest. I need a homebrew.

Was he trying to push you into buying his kits?

Next time say hello, hand him a shopping list and state nicely that I'd like these products please... if he asks anything, say its none of your business.

Yeah some folks don't have that internal mechanism that tells most of us when we're moving from being helpful to being a PITA. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I basically don't believe a thing my local supplier says. He puts the BS in LHBS.

I went to my LHBS for my first all grain brew. I asked for Cascade and they didn't have enough for my order. So I asked if they had anything comparable that I could use to replace. He said "Chinook." Many of you probably already get it. I didn't until I drove 30 minutes to get home and googled "hop profiles."

I went to my LHBS for my first all grain brew. I asked for Cascade and they didn't have enough for my order. So I asked if they had anything comparable that I could use to replace. He said "Chinook." Many of you probably already get it. I didn't until I drove 30 minutes to get home and googled "hop profiles."

They both begin with C so what is the issue?

The LHBS i go to for the most part is pretty good without being pretentious.

I've been ordering some unusual ingredients lately experimenting, and I love my LHBS, if you order unusual ingredients the only thing they say is "Sounds interesting, bring some in when it's ready".

every HBS I've been in, besides Northern Brewer, have talked me like I'm an idiot. until I either talked about brewing or brought them something I made.

All I usually do is walk into the LHBS and give em a list of what I want. The guys I deal with are friendly to a degree, but as the saying goes business is business.

Although I would appreciate comments from the guys at the store, I would lose respect for them if they told me my recipe is all messed up and try to sell me something else. Thats all part of the homebrew experience in my opinion.

I go in with a list and wont take any lip.
They might give feedback but in the end its my money.
I would have no problem telling them if they want me to save money by ordering online then to please feel free to keep trying to make me feel like a dumba$$.

I WANT to support my LHBS, and he knows that online is cheaper. I want to support and be supported and not made to feel stupid.

I went to a new store today because the one I've been buying from is seriously overpriced. I had heard about the owner being a very knowledgeable brewer, so I drove a little further to try out this store.

Easy fix. Pay a little more and support the first guy. :mug:

Back