Used argon regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

declanhalpin

Reaction score
Hi all

I am getting my kegs setup and I was wondering if I could use an old argon regulator that I have at my shop. Any health issues? It is an inert gas afterall....

Tx,

DH

Health issues probably not but I'm not sure it's going to work for CO2 either because of a large difference in the tank pressures and/or the actual fittings or thread sizes. A new CO2 regulator is not a lot of money and you will use it for years. Buy the proper tool for the job.

I looked into this as well as I have a argon/co2 regulator for welding. The main issue looked to be the fitting sizes as Biged pointed out. You may need to use an adapter to get your regulator fit, in my case it was CGA 580 regulator to a CGA 320 which is the standard co2 bottle connection. It was only like 20 bucks and I was all set to order but then I a found a whole setup which included co2 regulator from kegconnection which turned out to be cheaper all said in done as I only had the (welding) regulator and co2 tank from the start.

Hope that helps

declanhalpin said:
Hi all

I am getting my kegs setup and I was wondering if I could use an old argon regulator that I have at my shop. Any health issues? It is an inert gas afterall....

Tx,

DH

In terms of health issues, no. They use Argon for kegged wine, my Dad has been doing it for years. He's got it fitted to an old soda rig that was co2, not sure if he modified it or not. Its pretty sweet, 4 different wines on one gun.

Latest posts

Back