Sulfurweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeers

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting with WLP380 (Hefeweizen IV), which White Labs describes as having higher than usual sulfur production. My overnight starter smelled strongly of sulfur, and now at day 2 of fermentation, so does my beer.

The smell is surprisingly strong, but I'm keeping the faith. I'm just wondering if someone with more hefe experience can help talk me through this.

The fermentation temp is pretty low (62F-66F), so I'm wondering whether I should raise the temp or just let this phase pass on its own.

Also, I'm not sure how long this phase will last, so I'm wondering if I should wait it out or just move to kegs/bottles as usual and let the sulfur dissipate from there.

Cheers,
R

I cannot answer your question, as I've never used that yeast - but I do follow you on tumblr. :)

I use the Wyeast Bravarian Wheat and have had the same experiance with that yeast. It cleaned durring condition and and to some extent secondary. I use WLP 029 for my Kolsh and have had the same experiance. I was concerned at the time because the sulpher smell was so strong that I could smell it through the air lock in primary! That cleared as well and I ended up with a very nice Kolsch with clean and mild floral highlights as an aftertaste, certianly not what I would be able to taste if the sulpher had continued.

I use this yeast for all the hefs I make (except fruit wheats). It is my favorite. It does have a unique sort of sour kind of smell and taste but I've never smelled what I would consider sulfur.

Thanks for the input.

I was concerned at the time because the sulpher smell was so strong that I could smell it through the air lock in primary!

That's the experience I'm getting right now. Glad to hear it cleared.

I use this yeast for all the hefs I make...I've never smelled what I would consider sulfur.

I hadn't experienced this before either. That's why I'm wondering if I need to make adjustments now or just let it ride.

I didn't end up making any changes to the conditions. Today I pulled the first sample from the primary. Tastes clean and citrusy, with decidedly muted hefe flavors otherwise.

I was really shocked by the smell (borderline stench) during fermentation, but now I would say...don't fear the sulfur.

I am having this same issue with the 380. I pitched at 58F, let it free rise to about 65 and held it there during peak fermentation then it dropped like a rock to 62. I put my temp controler on it and allowed it to do its thing raising 1 degree every to up to 66F. I now have a great beer underneath sulfur. I let it sit in the primary for an extra couple of days hopin that the sulfur would subside but as it did not I decided to transfer to secondary. If I can get rid of the sulfur nose and initial bite I will have a great beer. If I cannot, I'm not sure what I will have. ...Here's to hoping a week in a secondary will clean it up!

Latest posts

Back