What size Co2 tank for four tap kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBrad

Reaction score
I am working on building a four tap kegerator from an 8.8 cu. ft chest freezer. I have a 5 gal. C02 tank for my kegging. Is that big enough to push all four (three most times), or do I need to get a bigger one?

Thanks!

The 5 pound tank will work fine. If you find yourself running out of co2 more often than you like then you can get a larger tank later. We have a 15 pound tank that lasted about 10 months and pushed roughly 25 kegs of beer.

It will push just fine. Of course, 4 taps means you are drinking more beer and will then have to refill more often. If you were setting up a system from scratch and had the room I would recommend a 20# tank but since you already have the 5# tank use it and if you feel you are getting refills more often than you'd like you can always upgrade.

I run 7 taps off a 5#, but really only because there isn't room for a larger tank in the keezer. It still lasts a good long time, and I just keep a spare handy.

Thanks everyone. I plan on running the gas line through the wood collar and keep my tank outside of the freezer. Any major pro's or con's to leaving it inside vs. outside?

+1 to the spare tank. Even the big ones run out. With a back up you just switch and in the next week or so, at your leisure, refill the other tank.

I run 7 taps off a 5#, but really only because there isn't room for a larger tank in the keezer. It still lasts a good long time, and I just keep a spare handy.

Just to add my 2 cents, I have all three common sizes (5 (2 of these), 10 and 20 lb cylinders) but my current keezer only fits a 5er on the hump. It's a 9 cubic footer and therefore only fits 4 cornies. This setup works fine thus far but yeah it runs out fairly quick. If you can fit a 10 pounder, I'd say go with that.

co2 is much cheaper by the lb when filling larger tanks, plus your time to get them filled.
5lb works fine, though.

Back