Should I do a 500 ml starter prior to moving to a 1000 ml starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Checked with Mr. Malty and I need a 1 Liter starter for my next brew. I have one vial of White labs yeast to use. Not sure if I can do a 1 L starter w/o hainving started at a 500 ml starter. Should I...

1) Do a 500 ml starter (using a stir plate) for 18-24 hours. Chill yeast, decant and pitch into a new 1000 ml starter for 18-24 hours.

2) Pitch the vial into a 1000 ml starter to start with (using a stir plate) and let this go for 36-48 hours?

Go directly to 1000 mL, unless you are using a well-expired tube or are harvesting from a bottle. In that case, I usually use 200 mL of 1.020 wort before stepping it up.

This is a fairly fresh tube of yeast (arrived earlier in the week.) I'll go ahead and pitch into 1 liter and see what is happening in 24 hours.

Thanks for the replies. Now I know to do something different if the yeast is older or is washed yeast from an older batch.

This is a fairly fresh tube of yeast (arrived earlier in the week.) I'll go ahead and pitch into 1 liter and see what is happening in 24 hours.

Thanks for the replies. Now I know to do something different if the yeast is older or is washed yeast from an older batch.

Mr Malty accounts for age of your yeast. If it says 1L, you need 1L. Don't overthink this.

+1 on Mr Malty!

I still think that some of the Beer Programs slightly underpitch the yeast estimates. I go one tube directly into one litre w/stir plate for five gallon batches at 1.040 og

I prefer to make 14 gallons, so I use a 4 gallon batch as a starter, BUT I *DO* have to wait a little longer, anxiously, for it to kick off. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

These pouches used to say "good for 5 gallons". they still look the same, and work well enough, I don't know what caused the change in recommendation.

Yeast is blind, has no brain, can't think straight, and is lucky to land comfortably on the bottom of something, in a liquidy MUSH. AHhhhh, so you are what you EAT!

1 fresh tube directly into 2L (.5G growler) of 1.030. You won't propagate much yeast without the volume to do it in.

Back