keggle ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron8699

Reaction score
I am wondering what the temp rating must be for a ball lock valve for a keggle. I get many different answeres from plummers to brewers. Any set answere?

The big thing is what temp the o rings are rated for. I got my ball locks from mc master and they have high temp red.o rings

i bought my orings at mc master but im not sure what temp the ball valve itself needs to be rated for. I was told it only needs to be rated for what ever temp the water gets to, but if you check the temp at the location it is being mounted its a lot hotter. I can only imagin the heat from the pot will follow through the nipple and into the ball valve, maybe not i don't know.

If you bought the one made from butter, it will start to fail when the temp gets into the upper 70's (F). But it is delicious. :ban:

Most valves are made from metal, and your only concern will be what the o-rings are rated for. Is this brass? Stainless?

Actually, smart-ass comment aside, if your valve is plastic, then yeah, I'd replace it with a Stainless one.

No it's brass, the o-rings are made of butter. Its rated for 212 deg I believe because of the inner plastic in a ball valve. I wasn't sure if that was ok to use.

I don't know about brass but the vast majority of ball valves use PTFE seals between the body and the ball. PTFE, aka Teflon is good for up to 500F or so. If this is for a weldless setup, I'd stick to silicone washers/orings on boil kettles.

When it comes to brass valves, you need to worry about lead content in the alloy. Heating brass, methinks, would be an especially good way to liberate some of that lead.

Side note, brass fittings are one of the largest sources of lead in drinking water; always a good idea to run your faucets a little before taking that first drink of water in the morning.

Back