Red Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryiman

Reaction score
I want to brew up a nice Red Rye. I have never had a rye before but it sounds good. I want to be a brighter red color and not a deep amber color. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

I'm going to brew a Red Rye this weekend. It's a pseudo-clone of a beer that Turtle Mountain (local brewpub) makes, called "Red Rye". It's a good easy drinker with a slightly spicy flavor. I'm looking forward to having a keg of it! :ban:

I emailed the brewer for info and here's a recipe that I put together based on his input and some help from Tastybrew's calculator, based on 70% efficiency.

OG 1.048
FG 1.012
IBU 21
SRM 12
ABV 4.6

8.5 lbs American Two-Row
2.0 lbs Flaked Rye
4 oz. American Crystal 90L
4 oz. Munich
3 oz. Roasted Barley

.45 oz Magnum (13% AA) 60 min.
.25 oz. Hallertau 5 min.
.25 oz. Hallertau 0 min.

I'll probably use Pacman to ferment it. The brewpub uses something similar to US-05 I believe.

Glibbidy brought one to my get together which was very good ... perhaps a recipe, Glib ?
Sure...

Glibbidy's Red Red Rye
Target Gravity 1.062
Final Gravity 1.010
Boil Time 90
Strike temp 152f

Malted Wheat 2.00%
Crystal malt 10.00%
Munich malt 5.00%
Malted Rye 20.00%
Marris Otter 10.00%
Pilsener Malt 53.00%

Target IBU's 65
Addition Hops IBU's
Kettle- Brewers Gold 15
Kettle- Perle 10
Kettle- Chinook 10
Middle- Centennial 10
Middle- Cascade 10
Late- Centennial 5
Late- Cascade 5
Knockout- Centennial .5 oz
Knockout- Chinook .5 oz
Dry hop- Williamette 1.00 oz

Knockout and dryhop scaled back for 5 gallons batch;)

Thanks Glib, how did this turn out? Was the rye noticeable?

It has become a standard in my brewery. It's an outstanding beer that I will always try to keep on hand. At 20% the Rye imparts a nice spicy note that goes well with the bittering hops. I'll likely post this one to the recipe database.

Back