New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NZLunchie said:
Just finished a Styrian Golding Pale Ale SMaSH. Overshot the OG by a stupid amount, but she'll still be beer! Giving the Burton Union from Mangrove Jacks a whirl this brew.
nice work. I've got a bookie clone in currently I overshot as well. Only by 3 points though.

NZLunchie said:
I was aiming for 1048 and got 1060..... Brewing a pilsner tomorrow and a second pils sometime during the week. Gotta get the stocks up!
Your efficiency is right up there!
Still haven't done a pilsner yet
I notice u tested the southern star. How's it tasting

One batch of Pilsner down, Motueka Pils! Side note an Riwaka smells AMAZING in the kettle! Used it as a FWH and all I got was marmalade! Sexy hop!

Your efficiency is right up there!
Yeah, 88% for that one, 87% today. Pretty happy with it!!

I notice u tested the southern star. How's it tasting
Rough bro. Has a bit of tang in the aroma (green apples, possibly acetaldehyde), fair bit of heat behind it and a slight biscuit/tart from perhaps the yeast? Not sure about it yet. Still needs time to condition. I reckon about another 3 - 6 months. I've earmarked most of the batch as giveaways, so you'll be getting one, hopefully before Xmas. If the Pils batches are ready I'll throw in a couple of them to!

Next brew - Riwaka Pils on Friday!!

NZLunchie said:
One batch of Pilsner down, Motueka Pils! Side note an Riwaka smells AMAZING in the kettle! Used it as a FWH and all I got was marmalade! Sexy hop! Yeah, 88% for that one, 87% today. Pretty happy with it!! Rough bro. Has a bit of tang in the aroma (green apples, possibly acetaldehyde), fair bit of heat behind it and a slight biscuit/tart from perhaps the yeast? Not sure about it yet. Still needs time to condition. I reckon about another 3 - 6 months. I've earmarked most of the batch as giveaways, so you'll be getting one, hopefully before Xmas. If the Pils batches are ready I'll throw in a couple of them to! Next brew - Riwaka Pils on Friday!!
Good work bro.
Haha yeah wouldn't mind a bottle to see the yeast character. I'll send you a bottle of my bookie when it's ready too. See what u reckon

I transferred and dry hopped my citra Saison in the weekend, it has a great pineapple tropical fruit aroma. Unfortunately it started fermenting again after the transfer as I have no idea how much longer it'll take, was at 1.014 so could be a while yet

kiwirevo said:
I transferred and dry hopped my citra Saison in the weekend, it has a great pineapple tropical fruit aroma. Unfortunately it started fermenting again after the transfer as I have no idea how much longer it'll take, was at 1.014 so could be a while yet
1.014, still has maybe 6 points left yet. Possibly more. Depends on mash temp.

Let me rephrase that. With the exception of PKRD who doesn't enjoy a good refreshing bookbinder.

Can I ask what you don't enjoy about it?

If you had asked me after my first one I would of put my hand up too. It was a very resiny bitterness that lasted and expecially sat in the back of my throught. Possibly a bit astringent too. Couldn't understand the hype over it after that, About 12 months later I tried another poured by Richard himself and then it hit me how enjoyable the beer is. I put it down to one bad bottle... I really need to give stuff a second chance but when beer funds are limited sometimes the second chance just doesn't come around (until it is free :D)

mattd2 said:
If you had asked me after my first one I would of put my hand up too. It was a very resiny bitterness that lasted and expecially sat in the back of my throught. Possibly a bit astringent too. Couldn't understand the hype over it after that, About 12 months later I tried another poured by Richard himself and then it hit me how enjoyable the beer is. I put it down to one bad bottle... I really need to give stuff a second chance but when beer funds are limited sometimes the second chance just doesn't come around (until it is free :D)
It's a good sunny day beer too I find it quite refreshing. I have had a bad bottle as well but I thankfully put it Down To that.
I have a clone of it to bottle on sunday

Whoop. 48L of NZ Pils in the fermentation fridge.
Both batches i hit over 80% efficiency. Upside of that, I can drop the malts and save an extra couple of cents. Mrs will love that!

Riwaka really is a sexy hop. Pretty sure with the 50g dry hop I would have made liquid marmalade!!

NZLunchie said:
Whoop. 48L of NZ Pils in the fermentation fridge. Both batches i hit over 80% efficiency. Upside of that, I can drop the malts and save an extra couple of cents. Mrs will love that! Riwaka really is a sexy hop. Pretty sure with the 50g dry hop I would have made liquid marmalade!!
Dry hop on a pilsner? That's new. Fair enough though.

My cream ale turned out pretty good!
1397745_10151693413316478_276516143_o.jpg

All the green bottle drinkers at my workshop really enjoyed it. Almost kicked the corny in a couple of hours.

MacrosNZ said:
My cream ale turned out pretty good! All the green bottle drinkers at my workshop really enjoyed it. Almost kicked the corny in a couple of hours.
Looks good. What's Te recipe?

3kg - Golden Promise
1kg - Flaked Corn
0.5kg - Minute Rice

20g Cascade @ 60min

2x Mangrove Jacks M07 yeast.

I had a stupidly poor efficiency (first brew for a while and converted from F to C incorrectly) so I had to add in a 1.5kg can on Munich malt LME.

Well, all my beer i brewed over Labour Day week has carbonated nicely :mug:

The Styrian Pale Ale is in the fridge ready to drink, the 2 batches of pilsner are in the other fridge lagering.

I had a week taste of the pilsners to make sure they were carbonated. Initial tastes have the Motueka Pilsner leading. Its crisp, fresh and really tasty. The Riwaka Pilsner is missing something, the bitterness is really smooth, but just isn't as crisp as I would expect it to be. We'll see how lagering effects it!

Well, all my beer i brewed over Labour Day week has carbonated nicely :mug:

The Styrian Pale Ale is in the fridge ready to drink, the 2 batches of pilsner are in the other fridge lagering.

I had a week taste of the pilsners to make sure they were carbonated. Initial tastes have the Motueka Pilsner leading. Its crisp, fresh and really tasty. The Riwaka Pilsner is missing something, the bitterness is really smooth, but just isn't as crisp as I would expect it to be. We'll see how lagering effects it!

Sounds good, I really need to use kiwi hops more.

I tried my first bottle of my Citra Saison on Friday, only a week in the bottle but carbed really well. It's like a really complex delicious lemonade (kind of), it's hard to describe. The smoked malt added a little something, but it's faint so you might not know what it is. Also a little sweeter than I wanted (still dry just not puckeringly dry), FG was 1.010.

kiwirevo said:
Sounds good, I really need to use kiwi hops more. I tried my first bottle of my Citra Saison on Friday, only a week in the bottle but carbed really well. It's like a really complex delicious lemonade (kind of), it's hard to describe. The smoked malt added a little something, but it's faint so you might not know what it is. Also a little sweeter than I wanted (still dry just not puckeringly dry), FG was 1.010.
Cool man. Haha lemonade! Interesting description.
Got a session IPA in currently. Trying to figure out some separate ideas. Thinking of Sorachi Ace and Nelson sauvin IPA. 2 hops fighting for supremacy. That'll be in the new year though.

Cool man. Haha lemonade! Interesting description.
Got a session IPA in currently. Trying to figure out some separate ideas. Thinking of Sorachi Ace and Nelson sauvin IPA. 2 hops fighting for supremacy. That'll be in the new year though.

As I said, it's hard to describe. :)

I transferred my Cascading Lime (Belgian wheat with Cascade hops and lime added) it's the lowest abv beer I've done in a while at just over 5% but tasted pretty good when I transferred and it still needs a dry hop.

Yay for students leaving town. Picked up a good little beer fridge last night for not much.
Lunchie can I drink that super beer yet or does it need another month?

Yay for students leaving town. Picked up a good little beer fridge last night for not much.
Lunchie can I drink that super beer yet or does it need another month?

Nice work on the fridge!

Yeah it'll be carbonated, just wont be at its prime yet I don't think. I've tested one a month just to see how it going, its certainly mellowed heaps!

Same here, that M27 yeast is supposedly pretty mean supposedly. Will give it a shot in the NY.

I got m27 today for a baby version of citra Saison, pretty much everyone is saying it's a quite spicy Saison yeast rather than a belgian duppel/tripel yeast

kiwirevo said:
I got m27 today for a baby version of citra Saison, pretty much everyone is saying it's a quite spicy Saison yeast rather than a belgian duppel/tripel yeast
Yeah I've heard the same.

Same here, that M27 yeast is supposedly pretty mean supposedly. Will give it a shot in the NY.

I used 3789 Trappist blend from Wyeast. There was a heap of spice when it was fresh. The longer its sat the more that has mellowed.

Just boiling up a 3%ish lawn mower beer tonight with what I had around. Should be a late night.
Hoping to get an Epic down this week too.

Pkrd said:
Just boiling up a 3%ish lawn mower beer tonight with what I had around. Should be a late night. Hoping to get an Epic down this week too.
Nice work. Gotta love those easy drinkers.
Got another IPA on the cards. Simcoe all the way. With a mosaic addition at10. Running 5.5%

Then I'll be making a beer with a 50/50 mix of Nalson Sauvin and Sorachi Ace. This will be a really bold beer I think.

Just wanted to jump into this thread. Nice to connect with other NZ brewers. I moved to the far north about 4 years ago from Los Angeles, and recently got back into home brewing after about a ten year hiatus. I brew all grain, mostly malt balanced beers, with a strong preference on dark beers. Any other far north brewers? Would love to connect with others in the area who appreciate something other than Tui. Very remote where we are and not many people to share the love of craft beer with around here :)

Also, if anyone knows of a list of NZ homebrew competitions I'd love to find it. I only know of the Soba one, and unfortunately I found out about it too late this year.

Cheers.

Microphobik said:
Just wanted to jump into this thread. Nice to connect with other NZ brewers. I moved to the far north about 4 years ago from Los Angeles, and recently got back into home brewing after about a ten year hiatus. I brew all grain, mostly malt balanced beers, with a strong preference on dark beers. Any other far north brewers? Would love to connect with others in the area who appreciate something other than Tui. Very remote where we are and not many people to share the love of craft beer with around here :) Also, if anyone knows of a list of NZ homebrew competitions I'd love to find it. I only know of the Soba one, and unfortunately I found out about it too late this year. Cheers.
Welcome mate. There's the SOBA one of course. And the WEST COAST IPA challenge. Then there's normally a bunch of different ones throughout the country at different times. Here in Chch we run a comp quarterly this one is best of British. People's choice and judges choice. People choice gets to pick next style etc. No prizes just glory. All welcome to send bottles down.

Welcome mate. There's the SOBA one of course. And the WEST COAST IPA challenge. Then there's normally a bunch of different ones throughout the country at different times. Here in Chch we run a comp quarterly this one is best of British. People's choice and judges choice. People choice gets to pick next style etc. No prizes just glory. All welcome to send bottles down.

Thanks! If you have links to any other than SOBA I'd love to get the info. Cheers.

Thanks! If you have links to any other than SOBA I'd love to get the info. Cheers.

If you look on realbeer there should be info on comps in each area. The WBC might be your best bet. They are in Auckland and have pretty regular comps. I think they have a Macs Sassy Red clone comp in Jan but they also have around 4 main comps a year that are style based with 3rd picking next style. Have a look on realbeer.co.nz and you should find what you need.:mug:

Just mashed in a rye pale ale called 'The Ryed Time'. Got a double brew day today so had to start early. I'll be doing a baby Citra saison later, although I had to sub in some NZ cascade as brewers coop were only had 60g of Citra left.

Just mashed in a rye pale ale called 'The Ryed Time'. Got a double brew day today so had to start early. I'll be doing a baby Citra saison later, although I had to sub in some NZ cascade as brewers coop were only had 60g of Citra left.

Shoulda said, I have a little bit of Citra.

Latest posts

Back