Running gas line question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMooBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm putting together a new brew shed and was considering running a C02 line through/in the wall to have a main tank available to my fermenters/kegs and to a lagering/carbing freezer.

Has anyone done this or have any opinions or ideas on how to do this?

Thanks!

you can do this - you might consider hard copper or similar for the 'thru-the-wall' portion, with fittings on either end to attach to - so you can disassemble if necessary without pulling line thru the wall.

Agree with the copper. If you have the means, or one of your buddies works in HVAC, I would recommend ACR copper (hard copper used in refrigeration that is ultra clean and nitrogen purged to prevent oxidation prior to use) and silfos (braze) your connections. Medical gas is done this way to prevent contamination.

Any reason I can't use black pipe?

"Black pipe" is not food safe. No telling what oil/rust/etc that will be absorbed in the C02.

pipe sounds expensive. why not cheap plastic tubing?

Certainly doable, but is more prone to leaks. If a hole develops in a line in your kegerator no worries. Inside a wall, different story.........pain in the a**.

Agree with the copper. If you have the means, or one of your buddies works in HVAC, I would recommend ACR copper (hard copper used in refrigeration that is ultra clean and nitrogen purged to prevent oxidation prior to use) and silfos (braze) your connections. Medical gas is done this way to prevent contamination.

What if i just sweat the pipes together? Not likely i'll ever go over 30psi.

just trying not to justify new toys, though an oxi torch would be SWEET...

What if i just sweat the pipes together? Not likely i'll ever go over 30psi.

just trying not to justify new toys, though an oxi torch would be SWEET...

"Unfortunately" :D nothing wrong with using standard type L or even M copper (plumbing copper) and sweating the joints. With ambient temps you'd be good up to at least 150psi. All plumbing solder sold now is also lead free.

"Unfortunately" :D nothing wrong with using standard type L or even M copper (plumbing copper) and sweating the joints. With ambient temps you'd be good up to at least 150psi. All plumbing solder sold now is also lead free.

Cool, 50 bux back in my pocket for ingredients!

Back