Northern Virginia Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finley

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving to Northern Virgina in the next couple of weeks (near Centreville), and was wondering what the homebrew world looked like out there? IE homebrew clubs, and what are the local homebrew stores in the area?

Big change for me and the family, coming from Kansas where sprawl is king and land is cheap.

I think this might have been better in the Intro forum, BUT

We're around. I haven't gotten out of the house to find a club, but I know there's at least one that meets in DC and probably multiple others in NoVA and DC. Homebrews shops could be better. MD has a few that are alright, but far (and even further for you). There's one in 7 corners, but the hours are so bad that I've never been.

The beer selection in this area is hard to beat, too - we get the 'grey market' stuff from DC as well as the huge variety that distributes in VA.

The falls church/bailey's crossroads/seven corners/whatever you want to call it LHBS has inconvenient hours and it's small with limited selection, but the prices are fair, the selection is impressive for the available space, and the owner Derek has always been really cool and helpful to me (although I've heard other people say otherwise).

I know there's a club that meets in Reston, the Wort Hogs. I've been meaning to swing by and join up, I just never get around to it.

Yep, when I first started seeing prices on rentals it took me back for a few. Luckily, we'll be able to have a decent sized townhouse where I still have room to brew.

Oddly enough, I'm coming from a town where the LHBS has inconvenient hours (whenever they feel like opening shop), and a very limited selection "Sorry, we're all out of 2-row, we might have some in either this, or next friday" but they are really nice, and I spend my money there when I can.

BURP is a great local brew club with many great folks and monthly meetings around the area. Its mike a beer fest and food fest at these meetings. When you get here, let us know, we can have a smaller local (HBT) group get together to samle each others brews.

Sheldon

Even the LHBS up here are insanely expensive compared to my tiny college town. I havn't joined and clubs up here since I am splitting my time between school and home, but when I am home my neighbor and I either brew or swap brews a lot. I live in Herndon but almost allllll my friends live in centerville (or is it centreville) since our rediculous redistricting put me in high school over your way (with 5 other high schools arguably closer than Westfield is). I am 8 mi. from centerville which takes about 20 minutes normally, or 1-1.5. hours during rush hour:)

I hate the LHBS in falls church. I wanted to get my dad a coopers kit since that is the closest modern kit to how he brewed 25 years ago. After buying one there for over $25 and a big bottle of star san for $22 I vowed never to go back

There is also a nice little LHBS in Clifton, VA. Prices are a wee bit high but great selection on yeasts, grains and hops. Plus the guy who works there (only ever see the Derek working in there) is awesome to chat with, knows his stuff, and crushes the grains/re-vac-pacs them for you.

clifton is a nice sleepy small town to drive to and much less of a hassle than the one in falls church.

For anyone interested, BURP has its monthly meeting this saturday in Nokesville. Anyone interested in attending, PM me for the address.

I second the recommendation for the LHBS in Clifton. Its an easy drive from Chantilly/Centreville. Its called Jays Brewing.

Welcome to the area! Enjoy the sticker shock and traffic. Its going to be quite a change from Kansas.

I know this post is a little dated but I'm trying to get some guys together in Arlington, VA and hopefully it will turn into a more formal club down the line... drop me an email at [email protected] or a message here to be kept in the loop

HTTR91

While this threads back up (as I'm sure most of the locals already know) Jay's Brewing is now located in Manassas. I went in there for the first time last week, and dug the place. Just a little out of the way for me normally.

Second that Jay's Brewing is great... though not metro accessible. Have had a lot of success there so far

It was a great move for that store. More space, and you crush your own grain now.

Oh yeah... And it went from a 30 minute drive to a 10 minute drive for me. Even better.

Derek was saying that there is going to be a club starting in the Bristow/Manassas area, but i hadnt heard anything else. Anyone know anything? I have three brew buddies within a block of me

That is not as convenient as Falls Church is for me.

This is the boat that I'm in as well. General selection appears to be about the same (although Jay's had a specific malt that myLHBS didn't, hence why I was in there), prices about the same, I haven't had the bad experiences others have had with customer service in Falls Church, and it's just closer for me.

A bit of a drive, but there is a LHBS in Fredericksburg, VA off of exit 126. See thebrewshop.biz. They have a little bit of everything, and the prices are great.

I don't mind a little drive to a shop, but I'd be overjoyed to see a place that was open until 7 or 8 PM on a weekday or two.

They must've changed something at that shop. New manager or something. It's the closest to me and they've always been congenial and helpful. It's a tiny shop, for certain, but they have a good enough stock. It's called "MLHBS," that,s actually the name.

MyLHBS is the closest one to me as well as I live by that monstrosity that is the BRAC center they just built up. I have always found Derek's assistant to be a great resource, and when you get by the more... antisocial attitude of Derek. Both have been useful for advice/whatever I need, though the majority of my larger purchases have been from Austin, Midwest, etc. MyLHBS is great for picking up the incidentials that you always need at the last minute and an online order is not feasable, though the hours are wanting. I only have a bout 5 minutes from getting home from work to realize I need hops or yeast to be able to get there in time to purchase on a weekday, and since I tend to like to brew on Sat/Sun, the closed on Sun/Mon is rather inconvenient. Not to mention that I always forget that they are closed. I would appreciate some competition nearby though. As for a brew club... I think i am getting consistant enough to finally feel comfortable joining one. I would like to get my AG equipment together soon though.

I must not have run into this other dude at MyLHBS. With you on the hours though, "Normal" business hours would be nice. I have to get all my stuff in the 3 seconds before they close too. What local clubs are there? Haven't really looked into it.

I guess I'm lucky with my work schedule that I'm usually able to pop in there during the work day when they're open, with the added plus that it's not crowded like it can get on weekends. I've never had a problem with either Ryan or Derek there. I hear all these reports about the bad service, but I've never once had a problem. Ever. I've always found them both extraordinarily helpful.

I know there's some BURP folks on here. I finally joined up with DC Homebrewers.

Ryan, thats his name. Good guy. I dont have bad things to say about Derek, he just seems to not be as stoked/enthusiastic about homebrewing as he could be.

As for brew clubs, I just heard of the Wort Hog Brew Club http://www.worthogs.com/ from DPBISME.

I think i am going to have to check out a few myself. That or i have to convince my friends to start this wonderful hobby. Maybe now that I have finished my keezer and they start drinking off of it there will be some encouragement to help keep it full.

check out BURP. an awesome group of brewers and beer lovers. Oh yea, the monthly meetings are mini brew fests and food fests all in one.

Sheldon

I don't mind a little drive to a shop, but I'd be overjoyed to see a place that was open until 7 or 8 PM on a weekday or two.

They've added an hour on Wednesday, so it closes at 7 now that day. I know it's not much, but if you're looking to avoid the crush on Saturdays there, it might be an okay option.

I've always been pretty happy with them, though I understand how some might find Derek's directness to be off putting. It's usually just that he's pretty busy in there, especially on Saturdays.

Back