Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hands down, Steel Reserve.

I was making a Nativity set for a friend, as a Christmas gift. She's a unique mix of the sacred and painfully profane, so the present was meant capture this dichotomy as well. The three kings were 1oz liquor bottles with beer caps upturned, on top, for crowns. I used cigarette tobacco for animal fur and hay. The Steel Reserve can was cut to make angel wings (logo showing, of course). It was pretty hilarious when put together, and the booze made it worthwhile to take apart.

I took one sip of the SR, for curiosity's sake, and it was so bad the rest went immediately down the drain. It's really foul.

my friends and I got a beach house for a week and got a deal on 60 cases of pbr. needless to say, after 3 days we couldn't even look it anymore

We actually pay for PBR when we go watch live music. I like it a lot -- after a few shots it's a fantastic chaser. Needless to say, we don't drive home those nights, and ALWAYS regret them the next day. ;)

We actually pay for PBR when we go watch live music. I like it a lot -- after a few shots it's a fantastic chaser. Needless to say, we don't drive home those nights, and ALWAYS regret them the next day. ;)

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of craft brew drinkers turn to PBR when they have to "slum it" with a light lager?

Hands down, Steel Reserve.

I was making a Nativity set for a friend, as a Christmas gift. She's a unique mix of the sacred and painfully profane, so the present was meant capture this dichotomy as well. The three kings were 1oz liquor bottles with beer caps upturned, on top, for crowns. I used cigarette tobacco for animal fur and hay. The Steel Reserve can was cut to make angel wings (logo showing, of course). It was pretty hilarious when put together, and the booze made it worthwhile to take apart.

I took one sip of the SR, for curiosity's sake, and it was so bad the rest went immediately down the drain. It's really foul.

I would love to see a picture of this project!

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of craft brew drinkers turn to PBR when they have to "slum it" with a light lager?

I didn't know there were others out there that do that. PBR is the last beer I bought, and the only non-homebrew in the fridge.

Drank about 14 at the Charlotte race Memorial Day Weekend. Good times.

Oh, back to topic..... Worst beer I ever drank (in memory) has to be my last experimental batch of homebrew. Experimental recipe, plus I was drunk when making it, plus I had to finish with the boil the next morning when hung over.

I've been mixing it 2:1 with V8. About a gallon left.

I'm the type that if I make a mistake, I suffer through the consequences so I'll remember for next time.

Mickey's and a lot of it. Being young was fun.

vicratlhead51 said:

I have done my share of PBR but in Pittsburgh we "slum" on Yuengling or Straub. When I dj at the bar and Wednesdays it's all you can drink Straub Special Dark. It's not horrible.

Worst is probably OE. I actually can't get it down.

I have done my share of PBR but in Pittsburgh we "slum" on Yuengling or Straub. When I dj at the bar and Wednesdays it's all you can drink Straub Special Dark. It's not horrible.

Worst is probably OE. I actually can't get it down.

i like yuengling alot. i dont know if i even consider it a "slum it" beer. But, short on cash, I am going to yuengling

mircobrewski said:
i like yuengling alot. i dont know if i even consider it a "slum it" beer. But, short on cash, I am going to yuengling

Yeah but generally I don't slum it. I have no problem staying sober if I am light on cash. I am not a big american lager drinker tho. If I am going to, it's one of these beers.

Anytime I goto my friend jay's house. His dad keeps icehouse on tap. Its free so ill have two or three then off to the bar just on the other side of the woods from his house

Schlitz_OML.jpg

Another I don't like "Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine " Even tried a 2010 bottle this year and still didn't like it....yuck!

What a bunch of stuffy bastards. I bet half of you nerds couldn't boil water on a commercial level if your lives depended on it...let alone make a beer "worthy" of your praise. The pursuit is to make better beer and not to bash those who are paving the way.

21st amendment watermelon, it was like drinking a wine cooler, I still have the other 5 sitting in my fridge forever because no one will drink it haha

Squatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout- It was the only micro I could find when I was at my folk's house in Southern Utah over Xmas. The only reason I finished it was because its better than BMC (but not by much).

Milwaukee's Best- this is what my dad drank the whole time I was growing up and is probably the reason I thought I didn't like beer until I was like 20 (I'd choke it down to get drunk if no liquor was available but I hated all "light american lager" type beers) and had my first guiness extra stout from the can and realized there was some tastey beer out there.

Sam Adams Noble Pils- I generally like Sam Adams ok but I thought this beer was repulsive. I got it a bbq restaraunt and I couldn't finish it. I drank half then ordered a coors light (they were out of shiner and coors light is my least hated BMC).

OB (Oriental Brewery) in Korea back before the country put regulations on it.

One would drinkable the next would taste like what the underside of horse blankey smells like after a long hard ride.

Here now they are a passable light lager.

Squatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout- It was the only micro I could find when I was at my folk's house in Southern Utah over Xmas. The only reason I finished it was because its better than BMC (but not by much).

Milwaukee's Best- this is what my dad drank the whole time I was growing up and is probably the reason I thought I didn't like beer until I was like 20 (I'd choke it down to get drunk if no liquor was available but I hated all "light american lager" type beers) and had my first guiness extra stout from the can and realized there was some tastey beer out there.

Sam Adams Noble Pils- I generally like Sam Adams ok but I thought this beer was repulsive. I got it a bbq restaraunt and I couldn't finish it. I drank half then ordered a coors light (they were out of shiner and coors light is my least hated BMC).

I like Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout a little. There are several very good micro's in Utah. I think people just have a biased opinion about Utah and beer. The local micros kill at blind taste test comps, yet do very poorly when the judges know they're drinking "Utah" beer.

What a bunch of stuffy bastards. I bet half of you nerds couldn't boil water on a commercial level if your lives depended on it...let alone make a beer "worthy" of your praise. The pursuit is to make better beer and not to bash those who are paving the way.

This is my new bucket list.

1. Join a forum - Done

2. Wait 14 months before I post anything

3. Use my first post to insult a large amount of people while using the word stuffy.

4. Offer nothing to said forum for the next 14 months and make my 2nd post.

When I was on deployment aboard the USS Nimitz they served a special meal on Sunday and gave us non-alcoholic beer. The one my friends and I liked to ridicule the most was Oranjeboom. We'd usually get one and dare someone to drink it all.

1. Join a forum - Done

3. Use my first post to insult a large amount of people while using the word stuffy.

I don't care who you are, that thar is funny. :p

Iron City - from Pittsburgh, where I was bred.

My dad was a staunch IC drinker, so when I was younger we'd watch Steeler games together and drink a ton of it. I never cared for the taste, but I drank it with him out of respect mostly.

IC cuts their beer with corn and it has an acidic taste. I think I got tanked on it one too many times, I have a hard time choking it down anymore.

Aside from lite beers which suck in general (like drinking slightly alcoholic soda water), Corona tastes like piss (with our without the lime) and Tecate, similar taste.

Abita Turbodog hands down. It's the only beer I've ever had that actually tasted like vomit - it was SO sour. Luckily I only had to waste a 3oz serving as it was part of a flight I ordered at a local craft beer bar. There was one other kind of chocolate beer in that flight that took a close second. It was hard to believe that the two worst beers I've ever had were served to me at the same time as part of the same flight.

There are some cheap American lagers that are high on that list as well, it's definitely one of my least favorite styles.

Abita Turbodog hands down. It's the only beer I've ever had that actually tasted like vomit - it was SO sour. Luckily I only had to waste a 3oz serving as it was part of a flight I ordered at a local craft beer bar. There was one other kind of chocolate beer in that flight that took a close second. It was hard to believe that the two worst beers I've ever had were served to me at the same time as part of the same flight.

There are some cheap American lagers that are high on that list as well, it's definitely one of my least favorite styles.

Sounds like the "craft" beer bar needs to clean their lines more. Turbodog is an ok beer.

Simpler Times lager. its trader joe's beer. brewed by Minhas in monroe, WI. it was so bad I didnt even want to use it to cook brats in.

1. Join a forum - Done

It just doesnt get much better than that! SwampassJ, you should add "no retaliation when burned"
-Jefe-

SwampassJ said:

1. Join a forum - Done

I joined today.

Back