Raspberry Cider with S-33

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patriqq

Reaction score
Came out awesome. Added 1 lb of frozen, semi-thawed raspberries during 24 hr cold-crash. FG 1.005. Filtered, kegged & force-carbed.

IMG_0141.jpg

Yum! I think I just drooled on my phone;) I love adding berries like you did to tweak things a bit. When I've split up some batches and added berries to some and left some alone, the ones with some kind of berry always taste more complex. Might even taste better on a warm summer day! Cheers!

Safbrew S-33
Robust ale yeast able to tolerate high alcohol conditions (up to 11.5% v/v). Used to produce a wide range of beer styles including Belgian wheat and Trappist beers. Available in 11.5 g sachets.

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/60-Beer/60-11_product_rangeHB.asp
(edit - follow link, click 'Safbrew')

--------
This was my first time with berries and the S-33. Fermentation was fast and furious. The S-33 flocculation wasn't as cooperative as Nottingham and other ale yeasts - it took 48 hours of cold-crashing to get the yeast to drop out - but overall I was very happy with it. For the juice and sugars that I use, it worked out better than the Fermentis lager yeasts that I've tried, and better than US-03. S-04 is up next. I might try my luck (again) at wine yeasts after that - so far, Nottingham has been my trusty stand-by and the yeast by which all other yeasts are compared.

Right on! Thanks for the replies. Lately I've been relying on the Nottingham because I really like my cider on the sweeter side and prefer to cold crash and either drink it green or bottle it after racking and leave it cold. Still haven't ventured into stovetop pasteurizing...because I haven't had to yet;) The Notty seems to be drinkable while still green. Although I do have my first carboy with some S-04 and it is tasting just like the Nottingham has. The one thing I've been doing differently lately and noticed a good change in taste in the final product is instead of adding any type of processed sugar to bump up my OG (I try to be between 1.055-1.065), I've been adding the neccessary amount of concentrate to get my store-bought juice primary to that range. Has anyone else noticed a difference between adding plain sugars as opposed to other types of heavier juice in their final product?

Choice of sugar, in general, is a huge factor in my opinion. Your approach is a great idea since it also addresses the lack of flavor that often accompanies cider made from grocery-store juice.

I've played around with corn dextrose, tapioca dextrose, clear rice syrup, tapioca syrup, date sugar (dehydrated, powdered dates), cane sugar, honey and agave. I mostly stick to tapioca dextrose, cane sugar, honey, and date sugar in descending order of quantity. The clear rice syrup is excellent, but expensive and hard to find. My only gripe with apple concentrate is that it is almost always from China.

Thanks for the input! I've tried to mix up some store-bought juices (must be from USA;) and have tried to get creative with bumping up the SG. Some cloudy stuff from Whole Foods is nice and heavy but comes with a price;) Seems the less I add to bump up my OG, the better things taste... sooner than later. Although I like to play around with different types of "sugars" like you suggested to mix it up. I actually did just like you did with the "partially frozen raspberries" to crash for a day or so, but in my case it was a berry mix. Since I've only been brewing cider since January, I've yet to get my hands on some fresh pressed stuff from an orchard. Can't wait for that! Might be a whole new world;)

A lot of people here will have you think that fresh juice will make all your dreams come true. In my area, there is one cider mill, and many apple orchards that all sell their own juice (one of which makes hard cider) - all the juice is pressed at the one cider mill. The juice that is sold by the gallon seems to be the 'sausage' of the local apple industry - i.e. all the apples that the orchards didn't sell or are not nice enough to sell. Long story short, most of the juice is red delicious and it sucks. I'm sticking with the grocery juice until I can get a custom pressing.

Back