Furious with iBrewmaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauntedyards

Reaction score
The first bloody NB beer kit I have bought and it's not even in the iBrewmaster app!

I tried to enter it based on a 5 gallon boil and this is what it came up with...

Surly furious

Style: Imperial IPA OG: 1.064
Type: Partial Mash FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.29 %
Calories: 209
IBU's: 106.75
Efficiency: 70 %
Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
Color: 12.3 SRM
Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7
Secondary 14

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.75 lbs 7.75 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L 60 mins 1.035
0.50 lbs 5.17 % Aromatic Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.13 lbs 1.34 % Roasted Barley 60 mins 1.025
6.30 lbs 65.08 % NB Gold Malt Syrup 60 mins 1.036
2.00 lbs 20.66 % Briess Golden Light DME 60 mins 1.045

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 14.39 Amarillo Gold First Wort 8.50
2.00 ozs 0.00 Amarillo Gold 0 mins 8.50
2.00 ozs 92.36 Warrior 60 mins 15.00
5.00 ozs Simcoe 14 days 13.00
2.50 ozs Ahtanum 14 days 6.00
0.50 ozs Warrior 14 days 15.00
0.50 ozs Amarillo Gold 14 days 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg British Ale II Wyeast Labs 1335

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
20.1 psi Force Carbonation 72.0°F 1.90

IBUs at 106 seem high is that due to 5 gallon boil? I love that hoppy beer!

I don't understand. Is IBrew supposed to have a database of kits?

No sure I understand the times under the grain sections. 60 minutes on the grains is steeping/mash? What is the 60 minutes for the extract then? Or is it boil time? Surely you're not boiling the grains?

the software looks confusing to me. Looking back at it again, is it saying you'll get a gravity of 1035 with just the crystal? I don't get it.

And I doubt you'll get a full 106 IBUs, but with the majority of your hops in for 60 min, it will certainly have that bitter edge to it. Me, I7d put more in at 10 minutes. Also, it's just a tad low on OG for the style. Imperials are 1070-90 according to BCJP.

Just saying.

Unrelated to your question and your probably already know this, but I thought I'd point out that you'll want more than 5 gallons going into your boil kettle or you won't end up with 5 gallons in your fermenter. You're going to lose some to those hops and boil off. I'm not sure how NB sizes their recipes, but surely they're setting them up for more than 5 gallon boils.

I don't understand. Is IBrew supposed to have a database of kits?

Yes every Northern Brewer recipe in the app... except this one... :(

No sure I understand the times under the grain sections. 60 minutes on the grains is steeping/mash? What is the 60 minutes for the extract then? Or is it boil time? Surely you're not boiling the grains?

No that's how the software lists all the steeping grains for all the recipes... we are following the recipe from NB and steeping properly

the software looks confusing to me. Looking back at it again, is it saying you'll get a gravity of 1035 with just the crystal? I don't get it.

At the top it says OG 1.064 (which was bang on with NBs instructions) and FG 1.016.

And I doubt you'll get a full 106 IBUs, but with the majority of your hops in for 60 min, it will certainly have that bitter edge to it. Me, I7d put more in at 10 minutes. Also, it's just a tad low on OG for the style. Imperials are 1070-90 according to BCJP.

Yeah those times and amounts are all from Northern Brewer instructions. Just wondering if the IBUs read higher because of the larger boil.

Unrelated to your question and your probably already know this, but I thought I'd point out that you'll want more than 5 gallons going into your boil kettle or you won't end up with 5 gallons in your fermenter. You're going to lose some to those hops and boil off. I'm not sure how NB sizes their recipes, but surely they're setting them up for more than 5 gallon boils.

At the top it lists pre-boil volume of 5.57 gallons (as calculated by the app) I'm not sure if that will be enough though...

I have it too, version 2.771. You can always add it yourself if its not in there, it takes a few minutes, but it's not bad.

ETA: Or pm me your phone number and I'll export it out and send t to you as an attachment that you can import into iBrewmaster.

You can change it to say Partial Mash by doing the following. Select the recipe in iBrewmaster then click the blue arrow next to the FG. Click on type All Grain and select Partial Mash then click Recipe Edit and Save. Now this really didn't do anything other than change the type of recipe to say Partial Mash, but the schedule seems to remain the same as the all grain. It does say in the note to see the full Northern Brewer recipe instructions. You could change edit the recipe yourself if you wanted to and adjust your grain and add the extract.

Holy Smokes! You can't talk bad about a company here without first following the proper steps. Just kidding of course, I was blasted for my post about a bad grain crush and wonder what happened to all the people that railed me for it.

Holy Smokes! You can't talk bad about a company here without first following the proper steps. Just kidding of course, I was blasted for my post about a bad grain crush and wonder what happened to all the people that railed me for it.

No one is talking bad about anyone. Some of the recipes are a little confusing in iBrewmaster and if you are using it on the phone it's so small making it a little more difficult to navigate. I remember your thread. :D

I just typed it in myself. But back to my original question of whether the IBUs are alot higher because of a 5 gallon boil. I guess better hop utilization and all that.

Are you on iPhone or iPad? I also found it on iPad.

image-1963289693.jpg

Yeah I have the all grain one too but they left out the partial mash version of this recipe like they have for the others. Ingredients are different. Etc. Switching the recipe to partial just changes that label. It's still not the right recipe. I got it entered ok though from the nb instructions I think.

Latest posts

Back