Harvesting yeast from a bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcsoccer

Reaction score
Does anyone know if he yeast in these beers is the primary fermenting strain?

They are Schladminger and Stiegl lagers from Austria

ForumRunner_20121025_093656.jpg

I wanted to culture these to do a nice pale pilsner or lager soon.

Cheers!

I don't think those beers are in the 'we've successfully harvested yeast out of these bottles' thread, but I can check...

Either way, a much easier and more effective way to make a pale lager/pils is to use Saflager W34/70. Two packets and you're done.

AmandaK said:
I don't think those beers are in the 'we've successfully harvested yeast out of these bottles' thread, but I can check...

Either way, a much easier and more effective way to make a pale lager/pils is to use Saflager W34/70. Two packets and you're done.

Not really looking for the easy way. I always like complicating things.... :) I just want to know if the yeast is an actual lager yeast that was used in primary fermentation and not just some bottling yeast.

I do know that it is bottle conditioned, so I'm hoping to capture that classic yeast character. I've done my share of lagers, but I just wanted to try some yeast from an actual bottle from Austria.

Cheers!

Back