twist off bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whippintegra

Reaction score
I have been asking friends and family if they have any brown bottles that are not twist off and no one has any. I was wondering if anyone has used twist off? If so do you need special caps etc.

Thanks!

To use twist offs, you need a bench capper.

It seems at first that accumulating bottles is difficult but if you mention around to people that you brew and need crown bottles they will start showing up. There's also craigslist, and freecycle.org, hooking up with other homebrewers, recycling centers. Asking at beerstores that have a good selection of beer for their returnables. Some stores will let you have their empties for the price of the deposit. And some bars will give you all you can haul out if you ask.

Also if you want to bottle in champagne bottles, go to a hall that does weddings, heck even a moose or vfw hall, you might just have to dumpster dive at worst, or just pick cases of empty asti bottles by the back door.

It seems daunting but you'll get plenty really fast. But in reality when you annouce you are homerbewing, they do come flying at you. I even had my building super years ago just use his key and leave me some on the dinning room table. He knew he'd get beer from me on a regular basis, especially if he was gonna do some work in my place.

You can with bench capper and special caps. I bought threaded caps on ebay, only place i could find them. I usually bottle 12 bews or so in threaded bottles and these are my giveaways as i dont like passing out my good sam adams bottles.

I bottle with bud twist top bottles with my wing capper and regular bottle caps. No issues since they have a large strong neck ring. They are not the majority of my bottles but i bhave about a case that i use regularly.

when in need of more bottles, get to drinkin'!
i recently ran into a shortage of plain, unmarked bottles in my house (which you need for most comp. entries), so i've been making sure to buy beers in appropriate bottles and drink a few of those each night. by the time i need to bottle, i'll have plenty.

We started drinking more craft ales before Christmas,since it finally started getting colder. I now have about a bucket full of good,plain bottles to recycle. They'll be replacing the stubbies,which are too wide for the regular 12 pack boxes. And the sapporo & smithwick's bottles where the wing capper hangs up on one side with them.Not to mention,if I enter a local competition this year?...
So hit up your craft beer drinking friends,etc,& start drinkin better beers.

Back